Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback on solid axles. Solid axle outback

RCR46and2

I've been holding this back a while but since it's almost finished I'll go ahead and share it with everyone.

Most of y'all don't know me, since I live in Alabama. I have a 5 speed Subaru Outback, originally I had a 4" sjr and a Ej dual range with the ea low range. Well after I burn out the synchro for high/low I decided to completely redesign the whole car. I bought a set of Toyota axles, bill hinchers Subaru to Toyota bellhousing and a Toyota r151f. Ripped the whole car apart and took the lift blocks out, and starting the solid axle swap. I have pictures of pretty much everything and will post those latter.

The trans tunnel as been redone, the rear wheel wells have been redone and the trunk pan has been redone. It's sitting on Chevy 63" leafs in the back and Toyota rear 53" leaf springs in the front. Has full exo cage that goes through the roof behind the front seats and ties into the rock sliders. 20 gallon rci fuel cell mounted in the trunk. Has Toyota dual tcases, 2.28 in the front and 4.7 in the rear case. Triple shifts for a total of 4 shifters. With the 5.29s it has a 244:1 crawl ratio. The factory Toyota axles weren't wide enough so I went to diamond axle and got some 65" wms to wms Toyota based axles. 4 piston disk breaks and full float rear. Standard Toyota high steer with a Dodge Durango steering box. Replace the the rear seats with bucket seats and am currently waiting on some 38.5" super swampers tsl sx's. Besides tires it needs brake lines drive shaft power steering lines and a dragline before its drive able. I've personally done all the work myself and would be happy to answer any questions and wanting to hear any criticism and comments.

image.jpg2_zpsg0s68sny.jpg

image.jpg1_zpskgvqzdgp.jpg

image.jpg3_zps85xjmlyq.jpg

• Like 4

All of those leaf spring shackles are just HORRIBLE,what ever flex the leafs may have had is now gone.Secondly, you have it geared WAY TO LOW.Some momentum is needed even rockcrawling.I witnessed a toyota with the same gear setup as yours try to climb a boulder.It eventually did it, but it took a long time and needed lots of throttle (with the tires barely even moving).Right after it was finished being a trail tampon a more or less stock toyota on 33" tires climbed up it like it was nothing.

The wheel base is about 123"

image.jpg1_zpsfwdvwbax.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsoiduoweq.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsmqgicntn.jpg

Those first pictures had different springs in the front. The shackle angle as it sits now is about 50 degrees front and 45 degrees in the rear. And no my gearing is not too low. I don't have to be in low low 1st all the time. I have way more options than that.

...................1st......2nd......3rd.....4th.......5th

High/high...23:1....14:1....10:1....5:1......4.3:1

Low/high....52:1....33:1....23:1...12:1.....10:1

High/low...107:1...68:1.....48:1...24:1.... 20:1

Low/low....244:1...155:1..109:1..56:1.....47:1

Every possible final gear ratio I have in my car that will be on 38.5s

Edited by RCR46and2

All the diagrams and set up pictures in the shop that I work at( the4x4store.com) say to have the shackles perpendicular to the leaf springs,actually perpendicular to a line running between the eyes of the leaf.They are normally set up that way for optimal travel and handling characteristics, but what do I know,I just work there.Have run running 38" tires on toyota axles though.

Although I love your shop,My garage is the same way with tools,parts,etc all over everywhere.I would like my shop to be one of those "clean enough to operate" shops but it never really works like that.

Edited by Uberoo

All of those leaf spring shackles are just HORRIBLE,what ever flex the leafs may have had is now gone.Secondly, you have it geared WAY TO LOW.Some momentum is needed even rockcrawling.I witnessed a toyota with the same gear setup as yours try to climb a boulder.It eventually did it, but it took a long time and needed lots of throttle (with the tires barely even moving).Right after it was finished being a trail tampon a more or less stock toyota on 33" tires climbed up it like it was nothing.

^^^^   Disregard anything this guy says to you.    Ask him about his hatch and his genius in building trailers.     

Cool stuff in my opinion.  Looking forward to vids of it in action.

• Like 3

I tried to set it up for a little more down travel than up, which is why they are at the angle they are. I've cycled the suspension as much as I can with what I have and I'm happy with it. The shackle being at 90 degrees has no effect on the spring rate. I was trying to keep it low with a little up travel(4-6 inches) and more down(8-10 inches). I'm sure it will work fine. If it doesn't I'll just redo it.

And yeah it seems every time I get my shop/garage clean it gets messy again. I blame the fact I don't have enough room.

^^^^   Disregard anything this guy says to you.    Ask him about his hatch and his genius in building trailers.     

Cool stuff in my opinion.  Looking forward to vids of it in action.

I didn't build my trailer, I bought it like that.The trailer was a late 60's camp trailer that was converted to a flatbed sometime in the 80's.I knew it was weak but never had a problem before.The trailer will be fixed before I haul anything on it ever again.

At least you have trailer, I don't even have one.

Axles should be fine on 38s, chromoly 30 spline inners, longfield otters, chromoly hub gears, 30 spline chromoly rear shafts and chromoly drive flanges on the rear full float.

Both front and rear axles have 3.5" .375 wall axle tubes and .5" third member mating surface.

• Like 1

Badass. Maybe not exactly as I would have built it, but I didn't. Props for getting it done, and doing it yourself!

At first I thought it was a GF Outback Sport. The ride height makes the body look small. What size tires are on there? 

Badass. Maybe not exactly as I would have built it, but I didn't. Props for getting it done, and doing it yourself!

At first I thought it was a GF Outback Sport. The ride height makes the body look small. What size tires are on there? 

I only have one tire mounted so far but 38.5x14.50x15 tsl sx

image_zpswgrhdwvr.jpg

• Like 3

Show pics of your spring mounts.

Did you do them right? lol

image_zpsd7upwddv.jpg

image_zpsjfsafb1f.jpg

image_zpsedix9jwd.jpg

image_zpsvdanxy8d.jpg

I don't know if you tell from the pictures but all the spring mounts tie into the change in so way shape or form, my girlfriend tells me I'm not good at taking pictures. But I've had a couple buggy and Toyota guys that have seen it in person say it's good and solid.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing!

You took both my cars and made them have a child!

3EC9DFEB-F4C9-4C7F-9BDF-DC09C713C5E9_zps

I just have the 529s on 35s on the runner. 

no dual stick yet however lockers are goin in after the impreza sells. 

thanks so much for sharing and taking on this build.

those are the rock armor axles?

super sweet man.

Edited by tron
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Amazing!

You took both my cars and made them have a child!

3EC9DFEB-F4C9-4C7F-9BDF-DC09C713C5E9_zpsecjqeusj.jpg

I just have the 529s on 35s on the runner. 

no dual stick yet however lockers are goin in after the impreza sells. 

thanks so much for sharing and taking on this build.

those are the rock armor axles?

super sweet man.

Thanks for the compliments, I've always liked those model 4runners. And the axles are made by diamond axle, a bit pricey but very good quality.

• 1 month later...