Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello From Portland, OR

Howdy, I'm in Milwaukie myself.  I don't see too many lifted '98 Outbacks, and the ones I do see are usually only 2".  How much lift are you going for?

Incidentally, my buddy drives a '98 OBX, Navy Blue.  Once when we were leaving the local Trader Joes we accidentally got into someone elses identical Outback that was parked a couple spaces away.  Even the stuff inside the car was similar.  We didn't realize it until his key didn't work in the ignition.  Maybe it was yours...

I'm in the process of lifting it 6 inches with the SJR lift, been a real PITA compared to what I expected- lot of unexpected issues, but once I have figured out all the bugs it will be well worth it. Radiator hose needs to be extended, stock air intake and silencing system won't fit, sjr lift doesn't come with transmission lowering spacers (I can't just let it hang). I'll try to get some pics on here, currently its hiding in my mechanic friend's shop until we can get it running again.

Mt hood is a great area, I like to camp and fish out in the alpine lakes (the whole reason I got this car). My 03 nissan altima made it up the Veda Lake road and back, but I never want to experience that again, so this vehicle is my solution!

JvFvn0.jpg

Edited by Jormungarde

I'm in the process of lifting it 6 inches with the SJR lift, been a real PITA compared to what I expected- lot of unexpected issues, but once I have figured out all the bugs it will be well worth it. Radiator hose needs to be extended, stock air intake and silencing system won't fit, sjr lift doesn't come with transmission lowering spacers (I can't just let it hang). I'll try to get some pics on here, currently its hiding in my mechanic friend's shop until we can get it running again.

Mt hood is a great area, I like to camp and fish out in the alpine lakes (the whole reason I got this car). My 03 nissan altima made it up the Veda Lake road and back, but I never want to experience that again, so this vehicle is my solution!

JvFvn0.jpg

Sad man... Should have looked around a little more...  I build lifts for these.. I worked down at SSI in milwauke for a while and started to build lifts a while back... Let me know if you need parts prolly can build them as long as its no to jummblled up...

Did you try contacting SJR??

My plan is to just shorten the rear strut extensions by an inch to bring them back to the original spec. I requested an inch longer on the rear struts because I thought I could get the forester struts in there as well, but the cv joints and swaybar max out the wheel travel with the current lowering blocks from SJR and the 6 inch strut extensions on stock struts.

I also considered shortening the strut extensions a bit more to allow the forester struts to fit, but the problem I have is that the front forester struts lift about an inch more than the rear, so I would have to deal with different length strut extensions in front and rear to avoid having a saggy rump roast. I can't decide if its worth it for the extra bit of wheel travel that the longer forester coilovers would offer. Then again, I already bought the struts and would have to sell them again.

I'm a welder/fitter with some experience, I figure I'll just slice off an inch of the rear strut extensions with a bandsaw, weld the top plate back on and see where I can take it from there. I appreciate your offer, and I'll let you know if theres any parts I need help with!

My plan is to just shorten the rear strut extensions by an inch to bring them back to the original spec. I requested an inch longer on the rear struts because I thought I could get the forester struts in there as well, but the cv joints and swaybar max out the wheel travel with the current lowering blocks from SJR and the 6 inch strut extensions on stock struts.

I also considered shortening the strut extensions a bit more to allow the forester struts to fit, but the problem I have is that the front forester struts lift about an inch more than the rear, so I would have to deal with different length strut extensions in front and rear to avoid having a saggy rump roast. I can't decide if its worth it for the extra bit of wheel travel that the longer forester coilovers would offer. Then again, I already bought the struts and would have to sell them again.

I'm a welder/fitter with some experience, I figure I'll just slice off an inch of the rear strut extensions with a bandsaw, weld the top plate back on and see where I can take it from there. I appreciate your offer, and I'll let you know if theres any parts I need help with!

Forester and first gen outback struts are nearly the same.. What size rear subframe spacer did he send you? You should shoot me up a txt today and maybe ill be near milwauki and can come take a look and give you some much needed advice? 5035750034

Forester and first gen outback struts are nearly the same.. What size rear subframe spacer did he send you? You should shoot me up a txt today and maybe ill be near milwauki and can come take a look and give you some much needed advice? 5035750034

The rear subframe spacers were 4 1/2 inches from what I recall- front ones being 5 inches. I shortened the rear strut extensions back to original kit spec today at work(6" down from 7"), so it should bolt on with the stock struts. On the front, I tried to get the forester struts on, but it looked like they were about 3/4" too long. Didn't try the rear ones because not even the stock strut fit! 

Also, I work 2pm to 11pm, so the morning 9am+ is pretty much what I have to work with on weekdays. If you are around and want to come take a look, I would really appreciate it. I missed your post today because I normally check here at night, but I'll send you a text wednesday morning to see if we can figure out something.

• Like 1