Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken timing tensioner bolt and crooked idler bolt repair

So the idler bolt pulled the threads out of the block when it came loose, i drilled it out and put a helicoil in but i diddnt notice it was crooked until it was too late and the pressure with the belt on pulled the threads out of the block for the tensioner, both of them so i drilled those out and helicoiled them but putting them back in one broke off in the block... Help I dont know what to do now, can i extract them and put in studs somehow? or is there a way to oversize them even more but still be able to bolt the tensioner back up? and what can i do about the crooked drill/helicoil for the idler? at a loss here. 

For the snapped bolt, weld a washer to it, the vise grips can unscrew it.

The idler.... there are other thread repair things. with bigger od. So you can re drill bigger . But you need to do something to guide the drill. McMaster carr and MScdirect.Com are likely sources.

• Like 1

get two new bolts that haven't been run through the ringer so they don't shear again.

is the bolt sheared off above the block, level with, or in the block?

welding a nut to the sheared of bolt works wonders if you can.

otherwise drill it out. start with a small drill bit then work your way up larger if needed.  the higher quality the drill bits, the better.

left handed drill bits are the best - they can "unscrew" the bolt while they're drilling.  yours probably sheared off because of previous trauma and might come out easily.

i wouldn't use a bolt extractor - they are awful excuses for tools.  if they work, the bolt will easily come out some other way.  if an extractor shears off in that hole (which i've seen), you're in for another order of magnitudde debacle.

no chance of getting a welder doing this all in car on the side of the road, towed it to the street across from my apartments, cant wrench on the property, i have to push it from my spot onto the street and back just to work on it too broke to have someone come out i have all the tools and taps and inserts just no way to pull the motor and put it on the counter and fix it, wife would not like that.... I am thinking clear the holes drill straight and insert studs with quick steel since i dont run timing covers anyway they rotted away 291k on it need it to go a lil further before new motor or ej swap

it sounds like you have some acess in front of the motor, but just in case, some things i've done before?

i've gotten a right angle drill before or a right angle drill attachment to drill on the front of the engine for timing component and water pump bolt issues before.  i think harbor freight has a super cheap one.

take a drill bit, put it in a vice - and WAAAAAAILLLLL on it with a hammer.  it'll shear right off they're hard but brittle.  just protect yourself because the part that shears off will bounce of the ground and three more things once it's sent sailing.  this shortens the effective length of the bit allowing access down into the motor.