Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a Bypass Hose on a 2002 H6 Outback

Doing some preventive maintenance on an 2002 H6 with 100K miles including replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Amazon and Rock Auto has a by-pass heater hose listed

but I don't see this on the car and I haven't found a reference to this part in the Subaru service manual or through Opposed Forces, except for the 4 cyl.

Has anyone out there with an H6 ever seen this hose on their car?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer but opposed forces has exploded diagrams of all the cooling hoses.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_27/lubrication_system/oil_cooler_engine/

Between opposed forces and looking at your car I would use that to determine what to order.

Can you just look at the car and identify the hoses you want to replace - how did you identify this hose to begin with?  looking at the car, seraching amazon...etc?

While you've got the coolant drained I'd replace the oil cooler gasket and the two hoses associated with that.

I think there is a hose from the water pump/tstat area to the cooler pipe for the oil cooler - maybe that's what this is.

I bought one hose for an H6 once aftermarket and it didnt' really fit well - it kinked and restricted flow - I replaced it a week later with a Subaru hose.  It was one of the smaller hoses, probably for the oil cooler.

Thanks Grossgary. I saw the hose on Amazon and Rock Auto while ordering the 2 upper and 1 lower radiator hoses. The description says "pipe 2 to engine" at both sites. 

This is the first I've heard of replacing the oil cooler gasket. Rats, I recently changed the oil.  I wasn't sure what was in the 2 lines coming off of the thermostat housing, It looks like the hoses between those pipes may be candidates to be replaced over to the oil cooler.

Thanks again.