Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wires Going Everywhere Help!

So I found this group of wires under the passenger side floor and have no idea what they are for and would rather not pull all of my carpet out to follow them. 

Basically it all started when tracing a wire that is plugged into my fuse panel, it runs across the car and under the carpet to the passenger side and under the carpet. While routing around I found a small seemingly aftermarket momentary on switch in the glove box that seems to do nothing at all... The wires from this button also run down and under into this mess than disappear into a hole under the passenger seat. 

What the hell are all these wires!? Is this sketchy wire in my fuse panel causing potential problems? and what would a button like this usually be for?

IMG_20150520_171138.jpg

IMG_20150520_171131.jpg

IMG_20150520_171122.jpg

about the wire in your fuse panel, thats your radio, i guess you have an aftermarket radio, they stuck it in there like that because they were too lazy to add a separate fuse so they just brought power in and still fused it correctly, but incorrectly, and i think that plug under the carpet is for the Map Lights if im not mistaken. pretty easy to add the upgrades to these cars as long as you don't have a DL.

now the glove compartment switch and wires under your carpet, who knows, thats specific to your vehicle, its all up to you now.

Edited by Subasaurus

None of it is factory. The wire type and colors are all wrong. Someone most likely had an alarm installed at some point. The switch is the over ride for an old school alarm. You'd press it in a specific sequence to shut it off if triggered. If the wire from thew fuse box goes there, then that was part of it too. Get rid of it all. There's no need for it.

• Like 1

No aftermarket radio sounds like maybe could have been an alarm but they are still attached somewhere on the other end. The horn also has an extra wire running to it that's disconnected that I assume is from the potential old alarm. Will keep pulling at them and likely remove them if I can trace them to the end.

Classic old alarm crap. As stated theres a "valet switch" in the glove box. They must have had the control box under the pass seat. The wires are triggers for the horn, lights, and probably a sensor and antenna. Theres alot there which makes me think keyless if you have power locks. I agree it should go. Is the wire to the fuse installed with a tap or is it just stuffed in there? This is/was a pretty semi pro install at best.

There are some dead ends I was wondering about speaker options for the rear worried about pulling everything without finding the ends. 

The wire was just stuffed into the fuse panel pretty weak job. Going to go dive in now might take the seat out to properly explore.

Good idea to get rid of this junk. Sometimes those wires are live and become potential shorts.

I've got a Jap Import Toyota and you can order backlit numberplates over there. They'd tapped the front parker wire and I was wondering why the fuse kept blowing randomly. Took me about 12 fuses before I found that they'd just yanked the wires and left the ends exposed :(

Found a similar problem inside the tailgate.