Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Longer rear struts on a 95 legacy sedan

I've read all the threads about installing OBW/Forester struts into a legacy and everyone just says install them...never mentions any trouble with installation?

I have the strut bolted in at the top of a 95 legacy sedan. the bottom of the strut mount is in front of the spindle mount for the strut so I need the strut mount to go behind it or over top of it to get it to drop in place.

I've pulled the spindle assembly out as far as it will go and there's still like a 1/2" of overlap and the strut won't slide past the strut mount on the spindle so it can drop on top of it.

This car has a decent amount of rust - one of the strut bolts sheared off  - so I'm not looking forward to removing anything....but what would give me more clearance for pulling that spindle lower or out further?

Axle?
Sway bar?

Compress the strut somehow in place - jack it up or spring compressors insitu? 

I just shoved it down with my foot far enough to get the bottom bolt in first, then put a jack under the brake rotor to rotate the knuckle up and put the top bolt in.

Also makes a huge difference if you sand/grind the rust off the faces of the knuckle and coat it with anti-seize. Makes it nice and slickery.

I just shoved it down with my foot far enough to get the bottom bolt in first, then put a jack under the brake rotor to rotate the knuckle up .

yep, i've done that with others.  i had a 5 foot digging bar leveraged under the car and prying down and it wouldn't quite get enough room.  i'll undo the sway bar and have another go.