Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru owner, A couple questions and concerns (97 Impreza)

Hello everyone, just have some general questions regarding my newest purchase.

I have recently bought a 1997 Subaru Impreza, engine is an EJ22, 2.2 L, automatic, and only 114k miles. After a couple of weeks with the car, I have a few questions.

1) The brake seems to go halfway to the floor before I get any sort of stopping power. Pumping does not seem to help. I took it to Belle Tire to look at it since it was free. They said the pads and rotors were in good shape, as well as the rear drums. When I asked about the pedal going halfway to the floor, the man working the counter told me his mechanic said it felt fine. I really don't think its normal, but if it is, or someone knows what the reason might be, that would be great to know. I initially thought that it was air in the system, but the previous owner had the brakes done at the dealership, which makes me skeptical that there would be. I didn't see any leaks underneath or on the wheels, and I do not seem to be leaking any brake fluid.

2) recently when I have been starting my car, I've noticed a very slight knock, that goes away once the car heats up. From what I can gather, it seems to do with the oil that's currently in the system? Its only been into the low 40's overnight at best, if that helps at all. I also think it may have sat for a short period of time before it was sent to auction, and subsequently to the dealership I got it from.

3) I've read of head gaskets going bad on Subaru's somewhat frequently. Although I do not think it is, it still has the original gasket so I'm somewhat skeptical. My fluids clean and don't seem to be mixing with anything, but I would like to know how feasible it would be that it is bad, or will be going bad in 2 or so years.

4) Really anything else I should look for/check that has been a problem with the model.

Thanks for all of your help in advanced,

Trevor

1. Pretty normal. You can do a bleed on it to see if it stiffens up but each car is different.

2. if it's a tap and not a true knock, this is common. Especially on cold starts. Usually is lessened by a fresh oil change and be sure fluids are topped off. The longer the oil change interval or the lower the oil level, the more tappy these motors get.

3. Put that out of your head. The Ej22 does not have a history of head gasket issues. They don't happen often at all. A maintained EJ22 will last 300,000 miles and beyond on original head gaskets. It's the larger EJ25 motor that had those issues and the 2000+ generation that Subaru became known for having head gasket failures.

4. usual check of fluid levels and quality. Check CV boots that may be torn and replace if need be. Usually better to reboot a subaru axle than to replace with aftermarket. Plugs and wires, and air, fuel filter as well as PCV valve are all inexpensive and easy routine maintenance items to keep it running well. A little seafoam in the gas tank also helps keep things clean.

Timing belt should have been done by now. If you don't have knowledge on when it was done by the previous owner, do it now as your motor is an interference and can be damaged by a jumped or failed belt. Factory belt is due at 110k so iif it hasn't been done - it is overdue. Do the full kit with idlers, sprocket and tensioner. Water pump is reccomended too but not as essential. Gates kits are reccommended and readily available on Amazon. There's a write up i can share with you. Takes about 2 hours your first time and only requires fairly basic tools.

Otherwise, drive and enjoy! You've got a very reliable year and model. I drove a 97 OBS until last summer. Parted ways with it at 272,000 miles and still going strong.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

1. All manufacturers have different feel brakes.  I can't stand american cars and that instant biting feeling - the second you tough the brakes you get whiplash, that's terrible, no feel at all.  I'd rather go easy if I want and then slam them if i need too.  But i can understand someone liking that bitey feeeling, they certainly give you confidence that thign will throw you through the windshield if you sneeze too hard.

Things that may help firm them up:

Change the fluid

Clean and regrease the caliper slide pins

A master cylinder brace if you want a performance part to stiffen them up.

2.  that's call piston slap, common and benign.  nothing you can do about it but it won't cause any problems.

make sure it's not the timing belt tensioner slapping - but sounds like it's probably not.

3. 2.2 has no headgasket issues.  don't overheat it and they should last hte life of the vehicle.

4. what he said - a complete timing belt kit needs installed.  Gates kits on Amazon are only like $120 for everything.   it's not hard to do yourself at all if you're comfortable trying.

3 hours or less for just the belt components and no special tools.

Thanks for everything so far. I'm just not used to it going so far before biting, but I feel like I have plenty of stopping power, so I wasn't sure if it was a problem. As for the timing belt itself, it looks brand new. every other part of it looks original and in good condition though.