Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Rack goes CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH

Hey all !

My old reliable 84 GL wagon w/manual steering that I JUST got going started steering hard , so I jacked up the front end and when turning the wheel lock to lock, I hear Crunch Crunch Crunch..................................

Can I grease it? or replace it with newer? what will fit?

If I can replace it, Can I use a power rack or does it need to be a manual rack? I really do not want to make it power steering unless I have to...

Thanks for any input

Both rockauto and partstrain lists a reman rack for the EA81's, with rockauto being the lower price for the same unit. Comes with new inner tie-rods.

Now, on yours,, it could be the outer tie-rods, ball-joints, or the strut top that is making the noise.

Have a helper turn the steering wheel while you try to locate source of crunch.

If the above parts are original to the car, I would atleast suspect the tie-rod ends, and/or the ball-joints. As they have been under there for a bit.

what he said - where is the crunch coming from?  parrticularly on cars that sat awhile - i've seen a few top strut mount bearings being rusty - check them, some you can pop a cap and look at them visually.

there's some kind of spray grease - you spray it as a liquid and then it coagulates into grease or something like that....others have recommended it, i've never used it.

or just use a needle attachment ($2) to your grease gun and squirt some down there before, eventually it'll wiggle down in there some, i've done that before.  then compact it with some suitable object to force it in the bearings.

again - if those bearings have access.

it could be the steering rack ujoint as well - doe sit look rusty/corroded?

subaru racks rarely have internal issues.

Edited by grossgary