Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel gauge stay up without power

In my old 89 Brumby I had a coupe dash with tacho and the fuel gauge would stay even with the key out. My factory dash thy 87 Brumby it goes all the way down without the key. Is this a wiring thing, a sender thing or the gauge design? I want my current one to still show the fuel level when the car is off.

really? you wish it would still stay up while it is off? im OCD about it and it bugs the hell out of me that the other 5 fall to resting position while my fuel is the only one that stays up, thought it had to do with it being mechanical but when i took the cluster apart to fix my spedometer cable that broke, its all electronic except for the speedometer cable ofcourse. i also wonder why that one chooses to stay up while the rest fall...

Edited by Subasaurus

Yes, really I do want it. My gauge takes about 4 minutes to come up to the accurate position and there is the odd occasion I want to see how much fuel I have without sitting in the are with the ignition on for a while.

So it's most likely a brake on the gauge that is held off with power. Hmmmm, that would be harder to retro fit than just some wiring.

Thanks

No electric gauge will indicate reliably w/o power.

The difference in response times is due to gauge design

The thermal types w/a bimetalic strip and a heating element are slow to respond and will go to zero w/o power.

The magnetic dual coil types respond instantly.

They have an internal damper(shock absorber) to prevent the needle from bouncing on corners etc,

The damper will SOMETIMES cause the gauge to remain at its last powered position.

Gauges do not have brakes!

• Like 1