Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Find 89 GL wagon

I have a can of seafoam that I was gonna run through it here soon before I did an oil change.  Hopefully that helps.  Also have an update for everyone.  Took it on a long road trip from here in Nampa Idaho to Madras Oregon using the 20/26.  I think I went through 3 or 4 passes on the way and its around 350 miles each way.  Had to put some Lucas Transmission treatment in it to keep the hard shifting down but besides that I only had one issue.  On the way back I stopped at a rest area to use the bathroom.  Came out to start her up and as soon as I tried starting there was a fairly loud "thunk" and I lost all power.  No dash lights, no engine, nothing.  Freak out a little thinking I was stranded until someone near by said that I might have blown a fuse-able link.  Started messing with the battery cables and when I moved the positive one it tighten up a little and I was back in business.  Seems like I got a bad cable or battery terminal.  Gonna replace that and have them check my battery to see if I need a new one.  One Question for you guys, is higher CCA and CA better for these cars?  I know that with my Kia I used to have I couldn't go higher than 600 CCA without causing electrical issues, but my Safari could go up to a 950 without fail.

as Loyale 2.7 Turbo pointed out..

that outboard A/C compressor was a pain to find, hope yours is working alright, KIKI DIESEL was my brand name, anyways theres some nissan thats very similar and fitted on mine since there was no replacement. basically your subaru had no A/C but the dealership rigged one on professionally. make sure you figure out where your gonna get another one if that one ever breaks.

Your's does look different than mine so i guess its not a KIKI DIESEL.

Edited by Subasaurus

I will take some pictures of the insides of the car soon and post them.  As for the AC, I am unsure if it works or not.  the guy I bought it from said there was plenty of pressure in the lines and the compressor worked great before the belt broke.  It is only running one belt right now, because when he went to try to put on a new one the idler tension pulley broke and he never replaced it.  Oh and there are no speakers or head unit.  My guess is that the previous owner had after market stuff in and pulled it before he sold it to me.  Didn't ask.  I will probably just get some stuff from a pawn shop.

also just an FYI- be careful if you ever take that dash apart DSwanson1, theres 2 screws behind that climate control panel you mentioned and i screwed that one up and broke the plastic tabs and now the thing as a whole sinks in alittle.

more info here about that (by Loyale 2.7 Turbo)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/69467-ea82-dashboard-backlights-upgrade-to-hid-white-led%C2%B4s/page-2

LoyaleCluster2_zpsyw23jush.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus

Yeah its the gear indicator.  There is one for each gear like in Subasaurus' pic but mine had P, R, N, D, 3, 2 and then I have to push a button below the shifter for first and that like is just to the right of the "2" light.  I do not have the door open indicator but the red light that turns on sometimes looks like the one near the trunk in Subasaurus' pic.  Not sure what it means though.  Does anyone know what the FWD light means?  I thought it meant Front Wheel Drive for most cars but mine is supposed to be Full Time 4WD so if that is the case my 4WD would not be working.

nono, you are confusing Full Time 4WD with Full Time AWD (All Wheel Drive), newer Subaru vehicles say after 1990 (for the most part) are Full Time AWD, if you had a Full Time 4WD on dry pavement, you wouldn't have a transmission for very long, FWD should always be ON unless your going into sand or offroading or you are stuck.

4WD is when all 4 tires turn at the same rate, sounds awesome untill you have to turn on pavement, AWD has a slip differential where turning on pavement is allowed, even though all 4 tires get power just like a 4WD, they work compleately different. if you try to turn in 4WD, either you will hear some horrible clunking, steering will get tight and you'll start loosing speed, or your tires will jump around.

from what i know, if you drive in 4WD while its raining, you will actually have a greater chance of loosing control and crashing than just leaving it in FWD.

Edited by Subasaurus

I dont have a 4wd button but it says Full Time 4wd both on the dash and when I look up the VIN.  I am not sure what a shock tower is but on the driver side under the hood there is a fuse that says FWD.  It is a standalone fuse box with only the one 20 amp fuse in it.

So does this mean that my car is running as a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive car until I need all four wheels?  That would essentially be the automatic 4WD you see on some newer cars trucks and suv, wouldn't it?  I may be over thinking this but I just noticed that on the drive to and from Oregon the light at the back of the indicator on the dash was on almost consistantly while here in town I have not seen it on very much.

you're right, there isn't a button on the side of your shifter, i don't know, ill let someone else reply to that one :) maybe its an LSD? if it is an LSD (limited slip differential) on an EA-82 GL then i know nothing about them since there not very common, actually i think they are very rare, your's being a 1989 is very possible,

Subaru did some strange things between 1988-1991.

best of luck!

and the reason for the FWD fuse is for when you run a spare tire (wheel is smaller) this is quite important when you have an AWD or "Full Time 4WD" and you have no option to run FWD unless you use that fuse (or removing it). some people use it for summer time use so they don't accidentally engage it (4WD purposes) or to increase fuel MPG (AWD purposes), or when towing it with a dolly (AWD purposes).

Edited by Subasaurus

Yeah its the gear indicator...

Thank you, I was unsure because Automatic EA82's are super Rare and Scarce in Honduras. My wife's Car has those lights, but isn't a Subaru...

Limited Slip Differentials exist in Subarus since the Second Gen Leone / EA81 era, but also they are not very common, the very first Subaru LSD has 9/35 combination, to give a 3.889 LSD, which then was rounded as 3.9 ... you can read information from an example, of another USMB member who has an EA81 with factory 3.889 LSD differentials, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/109465-84-4wd-wagon-new-daily-driver-with-future-ej-swap/

Kind Regards.

• Like 1