Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 vs. EA71 Axle Question

I've tried searching and found one thread that says you can use some axles from an EA71 with an EA81. My question is what kind of differences should I be looking for (between the axles, I can't check the position of the starter or the bellhousing on the donor without going back to the yard)? I pulled an axle out of a hatchback (can't remember the year, maybe 84-86) a week or so ago to put in my '85 Brat. As far as I can see they look to be the same size, dia. etc... Would the difference be obvious? I just want to make sure before I try to swap 'em and wind up breaking something because they weren't interchangeable. Thanks for any advice.

Gen 2 axles are all the same. EA71, EA81 - doesn't matter. Gen 2's are:

80-84 Wagons, Coupes, Sedans

80-89 Hatchbacks

82-87 Brats

It should be noted however, that 2WD front axles have a smaller diameter shaft, and a smaller diameter outer joint. They will still fit on a 4WD, but they are apparently not as strong. Shaft diameter is 23mm for 2WD, and 25mm for 4WD. I've never noticed a problem running 2WD shafts in my lifted wagon, but one must figure they did it for *some* reason.....

GD