Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Forester. I went to put gas in it but the pump clicked off like it was full but I know it was about empty. If I hold the fill nozzle out so it is in the fill hole about and inch and run the pump on real slow it will take gas.

Is this a vent problem? 

I saw quite a few 2010-2014 Outbacks that had problems with the hose from the filler pipe to the tank collapsing inside. You couldn't see it from the outside, but the hose would almost completely close off on the inside and make it extremely difficult to put gas in the car.

I'd start there.

I'm not too familiar with the canister setup on that year, but check the hoses that go to the canister for anything obvious. Try to squeeze them and see if they feel like they're full of dirt. If there is a filter mounted above the canister check the hose that runs from the filter into the frame for a bugs nest in the end. Try to blow air through the filter and hoses.

There are some valves that can be tested by putting the ECU in Test mode. (Green connectors under the dash) and making sure you can blow air through them as they click on/off.

does anyone regularly refill the tank and "top-off" by rounding up to the nearest dollar or until fuel comes out the filler? if so, charcoal canister may be saturated.

does the car ever sit for days/weeks? valves can get gummed-up or creatures plug the Drain valve in the evap system. (Mazda has had multiple problems with the Yellow Sack Spider in their evap systems)