Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spit and sputter on take off!

87' loyale turbo. wagon auto all pwr options.

ok pissin me off. At take off from a stop or really low idle the car just wants to spit and sputter and not rack up the rpms. buttttttt once it kinda gets going for a bit it revs up normal and feels(i think) normal. my guess is the turbo, i believe it may be having trouble getting oil(possibly for a long tume now). i dont have evidence of the turbo not getting oil circulated its just kinda a hunch. other guesses idk something to do with injectors. this is beyond my skill level i can really only switch out easy parts.

any ideas? or things i can do as a next step of investigation?

thank you ya'll help is always appreciated

I would be highly surprised if the problem was the turbo if it runs OK at higher RPM, They can do with a good Turbo Service at times though cleaning out the carbon build up and resealing, Plenty of options to replace upgrade though with most turbos if needed as others have done in the past.

plugs or wires usually. Bogs down at low RPMs especially going up hills - but smooths right out around 2500-3000 rpm? Worse on cold/damp days?

whats the problem when it bogs down on the first acceleration? early cold mornings? can i fix it? doesn't bug me since it only does it once or twice only when the engine is cold.. but you never finished your statement lol. is it normal or is there a small problem? Edited by Subasaurus