Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires and wheels and tires and wheels?

sooo i have most of what i want worked out. Next thing i need to know is what kind of tires should i get for offroading? I was thinkin maybe some 26" tires to go with the 3 inch BYB lift? where should i go to get these? And then what kind of wheels? I hear 15" pugs maybe? any other big suggestions?

28" is my choice, and some drilled chevy rims. They are way beefy. US Wheels 70 series are only $25 each brand new. And brand new wheels are soooo nice to look at. Just my opinion.

GD

Im going to seconds GD's opinion. I got US Wheel 70 series, with 28.5x8.5 Interco Swampers on my hatch, and they just look beautiful. New wheels and big beefy tires are just a sight to see :D . Plus, at $25 a rim, for new rims, you cant go wrong.

Jay

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=28

Very nice tire. I was able to find a local tire shop that had a set laying around. Even after a round trip off-road adventure to Seattle and back. Then another Trip to Oregon to wheel with GD, they still have plenty of tread left for more wheelin :)

I stuck with 4x140mm lug (standard lug pattern) so that I can use standard Subaru wheels if I ever need to. It's saved my rump roast more than once. The Rims are 14" peugeot Alloys. 14" steel is better for more abusive off-roading.

-Brian

You can put on 26"s with out a lift; go BIG :) With a 3"BYB lift you can fit 30"x9.5" and 15" pug rims. I'm quite happy so far with 29"x8.5". Gave me more room to turn and between the tire and spring seat on the strut.

The lift itself gains you little hight. What the lift is enabeling you to do is put on bigger tires. This is where you gain seriouse clearance from ground to lowest point. With those 30"s on I had 12" lowest point clearance in the rear and 11" up front. Haven't measured it with the 29"s on yet.

For rims I had money at the time and a good contact. Threw down $150 for a set of 15" steels. I went with steel so they wouldnt dent as easy and would be easier to repair when I do beat them up. I've dented alloys before and it was tough getting it repaired.

Good luck

My local cooper dealer has 15 sets of cooperstt tires in 14" x 205/75 and want to cut me a deal. First they said - $300 even installed and balanced. Then they said $240 same deal. Then they looked at the new tires I had on and said they'd give me some trade in on my current tires. They were making it really tough to walk away, but I have to wait to get my steelies from Austin to buy them. I don't want to put those on my alloys.

pug 14" steels have been found in the following configurations:

Oval Slots:

14x5 (was a spare from under the 505)

14x5.5

Round Holes:

14x5.5 (holes have a raised edge around them)

14x6 (holes are "flat")

Rectangle Slots:

14x5.5 (I believe)

pug 15" Steels have been found as:

oval slots

no slots (spare)

not sure on widths....

the flat spoke 15" pug alloys are 15x6 (or the dreaded 390mm)

not sure about the other pug alloys...

Guest taprackready
I also have to agree on those US Wheels, I myself went with the 75 series for the looks as well as the price. 35$ a piece. Does anybody know the width of the 14 and 15" Pugs?

14 alloy are 6 inches wide.

Bill

WOW Northguy!!! THATS A STEAL!! Almost makes me wanna buy up another set of these tires before they discontinue them.

-Brian

I almost bought a set of them. Nice tread pattern and good price usually. Around here I couldnt find them for a very good price tho :( Would have had to order them and pay shipping! Grrr.

i have a couple of recommendations. one don't go to big. didn't read the whole post. but with stock gearing your best bet is really a 27" or smaller. my strong reccomendation is for the super swamper ssr 27". but not cheap. otherwise the coopers discoverer sst. the other reccomendation i have is check out my web site. under modifications it has the tire debate for true offroading tires for subaru. not the prissy street offroaders tires.

otherwise good luck!

Semper Fi!