Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok so ive got a 97 impreza L with an ej22 auto

problem one is there is no repair manual that i can find (97 being a conversion year). so specs and parts are near impossable for me to find

problem 2 it survived a head on collision with a 2008 caddie it has developed a valve tick (quite loud) and a loss of torque in the low end and high but mid range is still there and if im at a dead stop and slam the gas the rmp's sputter 3 to 4 times then it catches and it accelerates like normal

the problems have been SLOWLY getting worse over the past 50,000 miles

any advice and ideas are welcome

Hi and Welcome,

What parts are you looking for and where are you looking? Seeing how interchangeable Subie's are for parts, I'm not clear on why you're having issues.....and I'm not being a jerk....just curious.

The '97 was not a big conversion year for the EJ22e....still Phase 1, most changes were minor - single-port exhaust, interference pistons, ECU (?), etc. 

If you go HERE you'll find m a n u a l info.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

thanks for the link first off

im looking to replace the valves do to the tick

also looking for any other issues that would cause the loss of torque

im still finding my way around the link but im looking for a detailed removel and new instal with torque specs and such

ill have my buddy helping me (uti grad) but he says i shouldnt even touch it unless i have a step by step

thanks in advance

Valves: Adjust them: not too hard in the car...HERE.

Other: Clean the MAF sensor and/or get another used one, Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS).

>>>50K? Due for NGK plugs and NGK wires (only!)....and the other normal maintenance/tune up stuff.

Td

Edited by wtdash

ok

plugs and wires are brand new NGK less than 500 miles on em

fuel filter is arround 20k miles on it

no check engine light currently i had one for may catalitic converter but it just dissappered one day

im currently on my 4th mass air flow sensor (this one has lasted me the longest)

and today im going to check the TPS

thanks again you guys are awesome

Do you know for sure which EJ22 is in your car? (Phase 1 or Phase 2)?  If not what's the manufacturer date?

Ticking is rarely a need to replace the valves.  Most likely culprits are either HLAs (if Phase 1) or valve adjustment (if phase 2).  Although the valve adjustment would be fixed by replacing the valves since you would have to adjust them, it would be a waste of money IMO.

• Like 1

Make absolutely sure that none of your incoming air tubes are cracked, from the filter box to the throttle body. A front end collision could have cracked one and it could be getting worse as time passes. Wont help your ticking but may restore your power band.

Do you know for sure which EJ22 is in your car? (Phase 1 or Phase 2)? If not what's the manufacturer date?

Ticking is rarely a need to replace the valves. Most likely culprits are either HLAs (if Phase 1) or valve adjustment (if phase 2). Although the valve adjustment would be fixed by replacing the valves since you would have to adjust them, it would be a waste of money IMO.

Hi this is a common mistake that people make -phase 1 was 1990-1998.

And just to be clear this is not the same as the OBD1 versus OBD2.

All 1990-1996 had HLA in the heads. All 1997-1998 were screw adjusted.

Phase 2 started in 1999. The only exception is that the 1999 Legacy outback and GT used the old double overhead cam heads with a phase 2 block and were compatible with the earlier electronics.

Edited by wtdash