Ultimate Subaru Message Board

...any free software available for download is going to include malware...

No, there are very Respectable enterprises that offers Free Versions from their Software.

Of course, their free versions have some Limitations, but tend to be more than enough for the normal Home usage.

In example, Avast and Avira gives a Free version from their antiviruses, which sometimes outperforms their similar but Paid counterparts; in fact those antiviruses has many years to be in the Business...

Also Piriform gives three of their great softwares for free, one is CCleaner (Crap Cleaner), that removes unused files from the Windows' systems, plus cleans system keys and much more features, the other is Speccy, which is a Tool that says the real "Truth" about any computer's Hardware, also there is a free version of Recuva that recovers erased photos and files from any media...

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

Sorry Rooster to hear about the Adobe Reader download. Did you download directly from Adobe or some third party where you would more than likely get one of those viruses and probably even a cold sore on your lip!

Combofix (always free through Bleeping Computer) and Malwarebytes (free version) are two outstanding programs that I have used throughout the years to clean up horribly infected computers.

Malwarebytes is fairly straightforward.

Bleeping Computer is to computers what USMB is to Subarus. Outstanding members who will walk you through the most difficult computer infection though they probably won't be able to do much about that cold sore on your lip ;-)

Download malwarebytes/microsoft security essentials, and then make sure to scan all exe files. Don't trust McCafe and programs like that, they just install viruses and then remve them to look good  :angry: 

Thanks, good idea. It is difficult to log onto USMB when computer keeps crashing.

What this comes down to is 2 things:

1.)  Always download from a site you trust and the best bet is always the software publisher (i.e. adobe for adobe, sourceforge for projects like freessm, malwarebytes for malwarebytes, etc...)

2.)  READ, READ, READ, AND READ.  99% of the time that software gets installed because someone didn't read and just clicked "accept" or didn't read and left the checkmark box checked saying "OK INSTALL IT", etc...  

Slow down, pay attention to where you are downloading from and read what you are installing.  Don't get click happy.

• Like 2

What this comes down to is 2 things:

1.)  Always download from a site you trust and the best bet is always the software publisher (i.e. adobe for adobe, sourceforge for projects like freessm, malwarebytes for malwarebytes, etc...)

2.)  READ, READ, READ, AND READ.  99% of the time that software gets installed because someone didn't read and just clicked "accept" or didn't read and left the checkmark box checked saying "OK INSTALL IT", etc...  

Slow down, pay attention to where you are downloading from and read what you are installing.  Don't get click happy.

++++++ on what Istevens76 has posted. It is a tough lesson to learn the hard way, which I did. It is imperative to read the website address to confirm it is a third party source, and therefore avoid clicking onto them for a download. Those third party sources pay extra to Google to get listed first on search results. Just learn to be careful.

And the advanced install is extremely easy and lets you choose if you want 20 copies of the ask toolbar or not

That what I thought!

I uncheched all the crpap they offered me and still got A LOT stuff that I am still fighting with!

Sam

Because you didn't read before clicking "accept" most likely.

What many have started doing is adding additional accept/decline options.

If you read it your not declining the software you want, just the extra bs.

True.  I did not read.  But based on my experience if you decline the "Agreement" the installation will not go on.

Correct?

True.  I did not read.  But based on my experience if you decline the "Agreement" the installation will not go on.

Correct?

Correct, but at the beginning of the installation, you have an option to do the custom/advanced install, which lets you choose if you want adware and some other BS. 

Correct, but at the beginning of the installation, you have an option to do the custom/advanced install, which lets you choose if you want adware and some other BS. 

First many of these choices pop up on normal and advanced installs for the additional software.

Second, you have to read it.  If you read it they usually state that declining this does not decline the software you want, it's just in the small print.  And if it isn't something you want installed just decline anyways and go try and find the software elsewhere or a different software.

---Correct, but at the beginning of the installation, you have an option to do the custom/advanced install, which lets you choose if you want adware and some other BS. ---

That is the rout I always go. That is where I unchecked all their offerings and still got Trojan.

Edited by somick

... I unchecked all their offerings and still got Trojan.

Oh man, that's Awful...

I bet it should have something to do with the Website that offers the Software, Sometimes they gets the right to Distribute softwares, but they bundle their own malwares and spywares inside the installers.

Also, I bet that this thread will get moved to the Offtopic forums...

Kind Regards.