Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The '91 Legacy uses 2 different types of injectors, one for automatics and one for manual transmissions. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? The one for autos is about twice as expensive as the manual and from the pictures I have seen they are the same except for the pintle that covers the tip.

Anyone know if the manuals can be used in place of the autos without changing out the fuel lines?

No, they are not easily interchangeable. I believe the fuel rails are different as well. You can use the newer red top injectors, but would need to swap the rails and ECU. Some of the pins are slightly different as well, so the easiest thing is to just use the injectors meant for the 90-91 auto trans legacies.

When I installed the motor it had 2 dead cylinders that turned out to be stuck injectors. when I started hunting for injectors i found that the ones I have are the expensive ones. Now I have one more that is giving me problems and was just wondering if the manual ones interchange,they look the same except for the pintle. NAPA wants $134 and the cheapest I can find elsewhere is about $75 for rebuilt.

A quick search of car-part.com came up with:

Fuel Distributor(& Misc. Inj.)
Subaru Legacy RIGHT RAIL W/ 2 INJECTORS AUTO TRAN A 7C0444 $20

All Star Auto Parts USA-MN(Princeton) E-mail 1-763-631-9104

I can pull a full set at my local pick-a-part (if they have them) for $24 ($6/each) so the road trip may be worth it if they are cheap enough.  

You could also send them in, as I noted above, and spend a lot less than even a rebuilt one cost that you quoted.

Another option would be to see if there is a local shop that does fuel injector service.

A quick search of car-part.com came up with:

Fuel Distributor(& Misc. Inj.)

Subaru Legacy RIGHT RAIL W/ 2 INJECTORS AUTO TRAN A 7C0444 $20

All Star Auto Parts USA-MN(Princeton) E-mail 1-763-631-9104

I can pull a full set at my local pick-a-part (if they have them) for $24 ($6/each) so the road trip may be worth it if they are cheap enough.  

You could also send them in, as I noted above, and spend a lot less than even a rebuilt one cost that you quoted.

Another option would be to see if there is a local shop that does fuel injector service.

I may need to flush the fuel rails as I am seeing garbage on the ones I am pulling out. As far as a local shop, there is only one and I used to work there. I was the second best mechanic there, the best mechanic and I retired and the 2 kids that got hired I wouldn't trust to change a tire much less work on a fuel system.

I hadn't looked to see where your at but if your in the Northwest there is one in Boise as well.

You could also ship them, as I said above, or buy a used set and have them shipped to you.

All I was pointing out is buying new ones isn't the only option and there are a lot cheaper options.

As for taking a chance on used ones, you are right. But if you buy 4 used ones for say $60 shipped and send them into witchhunter.Com to be refurbished your still spending less than new.

Edited by lstevens76

just go to the junk yard and pull the entire rail. the injectors are the same in any 90-99 ej22 it doesnt matter if they are auto or manuel as long as you change the whole rail out. im using injectors out of a 96 auto in my 90 manuel 

just go to the junk yard and pull the entire rail. the injectors are the same in any 90-99 ej22 it doesnt matter if they are auto or manuel as long as you change the whole rail out. im using injectors out of a 96 auto in my 90 manuel 

That is the information I was looking for to start with. As a retired mechanic I've dealt with "rebuilt" injectors and as a rule have found that the quality is lacking. Most of the time good used ones are a better choise as long as they haven't sat and varnished up.

The reason I recommended witchhunter.Com is because they have a good solid reputation for rebuilding and checking injectors. Unlike rebuilt ones they yest and rebuild the ones you send in.

They are fairly well known in the tuning community.

Edited by lstevens76