Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last summer AC not working - AC was inspected with multi dye - did not find any leaks - ac freon topped up $70.00.

Now AC not working - quote given to replace the ac evaporator $1150!!!

I think the tech last year topped up ac instead of solving the problem. 

Why was the ac topped up without further diagnosis or consideration??

Help <_<

Sometimes a small leak can't be found right away. Heat makes metal expand, and the leak may have been small enough that the contraction during the winter caused the leak point to re-open. There is also corrosion and other weathering factors that can cause the leak point to open more.

Normally I will totally drain a system and vacuum it to make sure it holds vacuum. If the system holds vacuum for 45 minutes to an hour any leaks will be so small they're not noticable, the system gets recharged and then you just have to see if it leaks down more. Common leak points are the service port valves which should have sealed caps screwed down tight to prevent refrigerant leakage from the valve.

More often than not, if the service caps are missing, the system will need to be recharged every year, sometimes it may not even last a week.

Most of that cost is probably the new condenser. Check rockauto for a condenser and you can probably cut that cost in half.

• Like 1

i'd get a second and third opinion, that's an oddball diagnosis for such a new Subaru.

needs properly leak tested first i would think.

or - empty the system, dump in two (standard sized) cans yourself with the cheapie autoparts store cans and their one-time use gauges.  about 21-24 ounces is what they normally takes I think.

let us know what happens.

• Like 1