Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Brand for Strut Mounts/Top Hats?

While changing the rear brake pads on my Forester, I discovered an oil-covered strut and was faced with the fact that I could no longer live in denial of the faint clunking from the rear  :rolleyes:  I knew I should've just changed the struts last fall when I did the lift spacers...

So now I'm buying left and right rear struts and of course I'm buying the KYB Excel-G (GR-2) struts that everyone seems to love so much. But when I looked at buying new mounts (because I figure if the struts are blowing out, the mounts are probably getting pretty beat, too) I noticed that on Rock Auto the KYB mounts are twice the price of the Monroe brand mounts. I'm wondering if it matters which I get. Are the KYBs twice as good? The Moog ones are the same price as KYB, so that's a consideration. If I save myself the money and get the Monroes will there really be a difference?

Bottom line: Which brand strut mount should I buy and why?

Ordinarily I'd just buy the KYBs and be happy, but with brake pads on the Outback and Forester already this month, closing on a new house in a few weeks, and a new baby on the way, I'm pinching my pennies a little tighter than usual.

Mounts may not be 100% necessary. It depends on the condition of the rubber in the original mounts, and the bearing in the front mounts.

Rear mounts are hard to check, but the fronts are easy to see. If they're original the bearing has a cap in the center that you pop off. If the bearing is full of grease and no dirt or rust has got in there and the rubber isn't cracked or dried up, they're fine to re-use.

If you do need new ones, get KYB.

Rubber on the Monroe mounts is softer and will age/crack faster. Dunno much about the Moog mounts. Never used them, but my experience with Moog has always been that their parts seem overpriced for what you get.

Look around on other sites because sometimes you can find better prices on the KYB mounts. I found a pair of front KYB mounts on eBay not long ago for $90. Be sure to consider shipping cost as well.

I installed KYB Excel-G (GR-2) struts on all 4 corners of my OBW last year. Like you, wasn't sure if top hats were good or not. So, I also bought 4 KYB top hats, to have available if needed. Turned out, I used the top hats in the front, but not needed in the back. I ordered all through Advance Auto parts on line. Got a good discount using their on line coupon, and free shipping. What's nice is the Advance store is near by, so what I didn't use, was easily returned, and refunded for a credit back on my credit card.

I bought the KYB top hats because I trust KYB quality, and knew the hats would match up correctly with the KYB struts. Not confident on other mfgers quality or match up.