Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester - Rear Speaker Suggestion

Can someone please suggest a brand, model, and vendor for replacement REAR speakers on a 2000 Forester L ?

Crutchfield does not carry any in the size needed. {5"}.

I do not want to do any mods on the rear door for a different size.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

:banana:

Answer from Crutchfield:

Hello Howard,

Thanks for your e-mail, and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

In answer to your question about rear speakers for your Subaru, I have both good news and bad news. The bad news is that Subaru uses a non-standard factory size for the speakers in this location. They use a 5" round speaker. The problem is that no aftermarket company that we deal with is making a 5" speaker right now.

The good news is that if you are willing to modify the opening in your vehicle, you can probably make an aftermarket speaker fit. The easiest way to do this would be to step down to a 4" round speaker and have a professional installer fabricate a mounting bracket/spacer to help hold the 4" speaker in place.

When you’re ready to make a purchase, just visit our web site at www.crutchfield.com. Virtually all in stock items, unless otherwise noted, are delivered to all 50 states in 2-3 business days.

Thanks again for your e-mail. Please let me know whenever you need anything else!

Clyde

Crutchfield Product Advisor

solutions@crutchfield.com

http://www.crutchfield.com

1-800-388-2911 Ext. 4078

Just in case you're interested, there are new factory 6-disc changers available on ebay for $85 plus $10 shipping and handling. This includes the changer, magazine, and controller. The seller seems to have a limitless supply as I bought mine over a month ago they have been continuously available. You need only to buy the mounting plate that attaches the changer to the crossbar underneath the passenger seat, otherwise you could fabricate something. I purchased the plate from a local dealer for $35. Easy to install.

Just in case you're interested, there are new factory 6-disc changers available on ebay for $85 plus $10 shipping and handling. This includes the changer, magazine, and controller. The seller seems to have a limitless supply as I bought mine over a month ago they have been continuously available. You need only to buy the mounting plate that attaches the changer to the crossbar underneath the passenger seat, otherwise you could fabricate something. I purchased the plate from a local dealer for $35. Easy to install.
HOHIEU:

Thanks for the information. I replaced the factory radio (cassette :banghead: )

with a 1 cd player from Pioneer. I am VERY happy with the unit and see no need for a changer.

~Howard

Is there a manufacturer's name anywhere on the original loudspeakers?

FindingForester:

I checked the speakers I pulled from the front. There is NO NAME on them. Just a Subaru part number and a symbol that looks like an M. Leave it to Subaru to use something non-standard from an unknown manufacturer.

Maybe someone here would be willing to make some adapters available. They don't have to be metal.

:confused:

~Howard

Okay, it was a long shot, but worth a try. The original speaker drivers are probably from one of the hundreds of no-name speaker manufacturers in Asia (especially mainland China).

I'm in the audio manufacturing business; I'll see if I can come across any 5" full-range drivers.

Okay, it was a long shot, but worth a try. The original speaker drivers are probably from one of the hundreds of no-name speaker manufacturers in Asia (especially mainland China).

I'm in the audio manufacturing business; I'll see if I can come across any 5" full-range drivers.

FindingForester:

Your help is most appreciated. :)

Would you please get back to me if you find something or not ?

Thanks !

~Howard

:)

• 4 weeks later...
Howard, Here's another site.....for a fraction (1/4) of the price.

http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/subaru.htm

The forester uses the "universal adapters".

I appreciate your suggestion however I see nothing at the web site you suggested that will adapt the 5" subaru mounts (rear speakers) to accept 5 1/4 speakers which are a standard size.

~Howard

:cool:

Hi Howard,

You could go with the factory speaker upgrade for $30.54 plus shipping and handling at www.subaruparts.com

I've never found much use for rear speakers except for "rear fill." In fact in my last car, I just upgraded the front speakers and just disconnected the rears.

If you're looking for "fuller" sound, try a sub. I realize that's a pain since that starts to eat up space, but a 4 or 5" speaker isn't going to have great bass anyway. Maybe you could use one of those "storage holes" in the back for a ported sub enclosure. I think bazooka or somebody makes these "tubes" that mount somewhere in the trunk. I've never heard what they sound like, (I imagine it's not great, but it's gotta sound better than a 4" speaker).

It sounds like you upgraded the front speakers, so that's gotta make a big improvement. But I think if you buy the cheap $30 subaru rear speakers or a high end speaker that's been adapted, you won't notice too much of a difference- especially if you install a sub.

I've never found much use for rear speakers except for "rear fill." In fact in my last car, I just upgraded the front speakers and just disconnected the rears.

If you're looking for "fuller" sound, try a sub. I realize that's a pain since that starts to eat up space, but a 4 or 5" speaker isn't going to have great bass anyway. Maybe you could use one of those "storage holes" in the back for a ported sub enclosure. I think bazooka or somebody makes these "tubes" that mount somewhere in the trunk. I've never heard what they sound like, (I imagine it's not great, but it's gotta sound better than a 4" speaker).

It sounds like you upgraded the front speakers, so that's gotta make a big improvement. But I think if you buy the cheap $30 subaru rear speakers or a high end speaker that's been adapted, you won't notice too much of a difference- especially if you install a sub.

I ordered adapters for the rear speakers. Now I can use 5 1/4 inch speakers ! I'm probably going to go with some inexpensive Blaupunkt ones from Crutchfield which would still be tons better than the factory version.

~Howard

:lol:

The saga continues........

The rear speaker upgrade is beginning to sound like a soap opera. I got the adapters today (7/3) and I am very angry. In the instructions they want you to drill four 1/16" holes in your doors ! I sent an e-mail to the company for a better explanation.

I thought the adapters were just a "plug and play" situation. This is something I want to avoid. I can picture going back to my body shop and having holes repaired.

The Blaupunkt speakers I wanted to use are too big for the adapters. If I do somehow manage to use the adapters WITHOUT drilling I will probably use Pioneer speakers.

If I do have to return the Pioneer speakers I will just settle for the speaker upgrade kit from Subaru.

~Howard

:banghead:

The good news is I'm exchanging the 5.25" adapters for 4" adapters at no additional cost. With the 4" you do not have to drill holes in your doors.

Now I have to order 4" two way speakers from Crutchfield. I'm looking at Sonys.

~Howard

• 2 weeks later...

THE SAGA ENDS..........................

My rear speaker upgrade is finally COMPLETE. :lol:

I installed the 4" adapters today along with Sony 4" 2-way speakers. WOW....what a difference. Even my wife can tell the improvement.

This also completes my sound system upgrade.

~Howard

:)

If you do a search you will find many threads on this topic. I believe the Forester is the same as the Outback but uses 6.5" speakers.

Check out this 6 page thread, which even has pictures and where-to-buy info:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7141

I bought the Infinity Kappa 62.5's, all on the advice of Alias20035, from eTronics as recommended by Alias and they shipped fast for MUCH less than Crutchfield.

A friend of mine whose wife has a '98 OB listened to them for two minutes, then referenced the same thread, bought them and installed them as well. There are some other models suggested as well.

Here's the difference between the stock Outback speakers and the Infinitys:

speakers_fr.jpg

I wanted a CD player and cassette, so I bought the AM/FM/Weatherband/Cassette/single CD Outback Ltd radio new on eBay for $159.

If you do a search you will find many threads on this topic. I believe the Forester is the same as the Outback but uses 6.5" speakers.

Check out this 6 page thread, which even has pictures and where-to-buy info:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7141

I bought the Infinity Kappa 62.5's, all on the advice of Alias20035, from eTronics as recommended by Alias and they shipped fast for MUCH less than Crutchfield.

A friend of mine whose wife has a '98 OB listened to them for two minutes, then referenced the same thread, bought them and installed them as well. There are some other models suggested as well.

Here's the difference between the stock Outback speakers and the Infinitys:

I wanted a CD player and cassette, so I bought the AM/FM/Weatherband/Cassette/single CD Outback Ltd radio new on eBay for $159.

RANGER 83:

The Forester uses 6.5" speakers in the front and 5" ones in the rear.

In the front I'm using Panasonic 6.5" 2-ways speakers and in the rear I just installed 4" Sony 2-way. The rear required use of a special adapter.

My ears aren't as selective as yours; I bought on what would fit both the car and my wallet. All together with the rear adapters the speakers ran me around $120.

The Crutchfield prices weren't too bad and in my case shipment was only a day or two from ordering. Plus they include adapters for the speaker wires so you don't have to start cutting wires, etc.

My headunit is a Pioneer 1-cd that I had installed at Best Buy.

I think the original speakers are junk. Subaru should be using standard size speakers for the rear.

~Howard

:cool: