Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP DISTRIBUTOR WIRING NO SPARK

I just acquired a 88 GL wagon with a "no spark" issue. The previous owner had taken the distributor wires apart and had taken off the harness for the distributor signal wires that lead to the wire harness. I now have wires that need to be spliced together to send the signal back to the ignition coil to generate spark, correct me if I'm wrong.

So I have a green wire, black wire, red wire and a white wire coming out of the distributor.

And I have a black wire, black/white wire, green/yellow wire and a green/black wire coming out of the wire harness that I assumed went to the distributor because they were tied together.

I have no idea where to start since the colors don't match up. Can anyone please help me, this is a great little cat and I really want to get it running

Is that 88 GL suppose to have a 2 or 4 wire distributor? The previous owner really did a number on rigging all the electrical. And there's a blue wire near the battery that looked like it was suppose to plug into something, any chance I'm missing a relay too? And going to need a new distributor, looks like some metal shavings are broken off in the current one. Anyone have a distributor for my 88 GL, no vacuum advance, it's a FI

Is that 88 GL suppose to have a 2 or 4 wire distributor? The previous owner really did a number on rigging all the electrical. And there's a blue wire near the battery that looked like it was suppose to plug into something, any chance I'm missing a relay too? And going to need a new distributor, looks like some metal shavings are broken off in the current one. Anyone have a distributor for my 88 GL, no vacuum advance, it's a FI

4 wires comming out of the distributor, it belongs to a sensor that reads the slits on this spinning metal disk inside the distributor underneath the rotor, it works as a crank sensor in a way, if this sensor doesn't read the slits then you will get no spark, i wish i could help you with the color coding but mine are different, but 2 of the 4 wires go with another color, so not all match with each other, just gonna have to wait for someone else to give you the color codes..

FYI- that sensor fails if water gets inside of there, does the seal between the distributor and cap look bad? if it is, they don't sell this seal, maybe online but haven't checked, ended up siliconing mine shut, good luck!

Per FSM, all of these wires go to the ECM

GB = power supply

GY = ref sign

BW = pos sign

B = ground

So the connector is missing? there should be a 4 pin plug for the harness and the disty. Theres only 2 reasons why I can see that happening: rodents, or they are attempting to use an older style distributor. Of corse the wires would change colors on the distributor side and my manual does not show whats supposed to be on the distributor side. To further muddy things up the 86 had a different connector and 87 has the green and white wires orentation swapped from the later models (IIRC). 

Someone will have to go look at their car for you as my f.i. system is an 87 and not the same colors as yours. The other option is to head off to the junk yard and get a disty with some extra harness and the connector.

mine-(i am not liable if you fry something)

1989 GL single fuel injection (F.I.)

Green/Black=White

White=Green/Black

Red=Red

Black=Black

1990 Loyale single fuel injection (F.I.)

Green/Black=White

White=Green/Black

Red=Red

Black=Black

this is from the harness of wires to the distributor (there is a difference if you do it the other way!!!)

Edited by Subasaurus

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and get my hands on a new distributor and see what I can do. The one I've got is no good, anyone have one for sale? There's no junk yards around me that have an old subie and I don't wanna pay napas outrageous $300 price tag

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and get my hands on a new distributor and see what I can do. The one I've got is no good, anyone have one for sale? There's no junk yards around me that have an old subie and I don't wanna pay napas outrageous $300 price tag

oreillys was at $215 when i bought one a year ago, it did not include the sensor with those 4wires, so becareful if you do buy a new/remanufactured from NAPA.

I know it's a EA 82 engine with F.I

I believe it's single fuel injection because it still has a carb. Sorry if I'm way wrong, it's my first time workin on a older subie like this

i dont think thats possible... its either Carb, MPFI, or SPFI.

The throttle body may look a little like a carb. Does it have a boot that leads too an airfilter or does it have an air cleaner like an old carb would? Since this is a hack job already u need to know this. For all we know this is someones attempt at a major mod. This will totally change what needs to be done.

Tom your thinking carbed? Hes missing the connector which is the root of this whole problem. The disty with the clip on cap is one of the earlier ones ive warned you about. It will work but youll have to play with the wiring some more as it wont match the info you already have.been given. I used a later model disty on an older model f,i. And had to swap wires as i mentioned already.

• Like 1