Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP DISTRIBUTOR WIRING NO SPARK

I've come across a distributor. But it's the older "clip style" 4 wire. Would I be able to use it in my 88? It's a 22100 AA053

Glad you started using part numbers as well ! I reckon next post you will be telling people you have an EA82 spfi 88 GL wagon. The other option is the multipoint fuelie with a pair of injectors mounted each end on the twin tube inlet manifold atop twin intake port mpfi heads. Yours must look just like a single tube, single port manifold and head combo.

I have always associated clip on disty caps with carby , and screw held down caps with mpfi, NA & turbo. I am assuming your spfi distributor is a screw down. Not seen a carby distributor work with efi, but the 4 wires looks hopeful - what's it look like under the cap ?

Guys in here have a lot of experience, and a lot of time to help collectively, sounds like you are gonna get there .....am reading on .....

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

I did a Google search on the number that was posted. Got lot's of hits for the pick-up in the disty, and a link to a thread on here.

This laptop won't do links/quotes, so I can't put the link in here. Irritating as all get out......

I thought the thread had some good info in it on the differences of the disty's and their wiring over the years.

I've that clip disty wired as you said Tom and when I put a plug directly off the ignition coil I get spark!!! Thanks for the help, now I've got to make sure my engine is timed correctly and the distributor installed and wiring to spark plugs correct before I try starting her. Is there a best place to start? I wanna be extra sure I get it right the first time. I've done it on a Ford 300 I6 but that's a totally different beast, this subie seems much more complicated to get timing marks correct

one cam is upright (pointing up) and the other is pointing down (180degrees the other way), its been a while since ive done my timing belt, maybe someone else can give more details about it. but one thing is for sure, its pretty easy compared to other vehicles.

Edited by Subasaurus

Ok I got it running! Thanks so much everyone! Are these motors normally noisey? It runs very steady but I can hear what sounds like the valves ticking but unusually loud it seems

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner!!! Guess what time it is! its time to replace that Oil Pump!