Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy gen II cv joint spline count?

I'm planning to replace left outer front cv joint as it is rattling when driving and turning. Very traditional phenomenon.

There seem to be different information about the spline counts. The outmost (hub side) spline count is 27, that is pretty sure. but the inner side (connection to axle) spline count has some variations. Some sources say 22, some 30. Any possibilities to be sure without disassembling the joint first? The local subaru dealer would know, but their prices surely are above my limits.

The car is -95 Legacy GX Sedan, 2.2 AWD, manual transmission.

Thx in advance!

AH - OK, I do not know the axle-shaft's spline count. (could there be a difference between 2.5 H4 and the 3.0 H6 cars?)

(I thought the issue was the green 'cup' for the tripod/DOJ joint's connection to the stub in the diff)

sorry.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Changed the joint today. Correct answer is 30 teeth. Still I don't have any idea what makes the difference. Anyway I ordered a new joint hoping it would fit. Luckily the teeth count was the same. But, the new joint is 8mm longer than the old one... I hope it won't make any harm...

teeth.jpg

length.jpg

Edited by 325turbo

I'm no expert but, IF (that's a big if) the actual - uh - centerpoint - for the articulation is the same, it might work.

but, if that point is in a different position than the design requires, there's gonna be a fight with the spindle/knuckle/strut/control arms  everytime it turns -

(I THINK)

• 2 weeks later...

I changed today also the right joint. Easy job  :)

This new joint also was 8mm longer than the old one. I measured the whole axle length with the old joint and with the new joint installed. No difference within measuring accuracy. So, I guess there will be no problems.