Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru GL whining fuel pump, sputtering, died

1987 Subaru GL SPFI. Car runs great 95% of the time. When it is started cold, the first couple of times I accelerate from a stop, I get some sputtering. I was thinking CTS.

Day before yesterday I ran the tank below 1/4 for the first time since I have owned it. Sputtered during take off again. Then Yesterday I took off from a red light, motor was warm and had plenty of gas, as soon as I hit second gear the car lost power, sputtered a few times, then died. It started back up just fine, had a loss of power for a little bit, then went back to driving normal.

I am thinking this is a fuel issue. I have a reasonably new fuel filter on the car, fuel pump could be culprit, but I have never been into the gas tank, and don't know if there is a strainer in it. Maybe that could be part of the issue? 

Looking for some opinions or something i may be overlooking. Thanks

My 84 turbo had cutting out issues with a very loud fuel pump. Turned out to be a rusty gas tank clogging thhe pickup. It could be a number of different things. Weak pump, dirty injector(s) etc.. any codes? That would help you narrow it down. A visual inspection of basic things never hurts either. Plugs, cap n rotor. Hope that helps. Good luck!

My 84 turbo had cutting out issues with a very loud fuel pump. Turned out to be a rusty gas tank clogging thhe pickup. It could be a number of different things. Weak pump, dirty injector(s) etc.. any codes? That would help you narrow it down. A visual inspection of basic things never hurts either. Plugs, cap n rotor. Hope that helps. Good luck!

There is a strainer on the pick up tube inside the tank. It "could be" dirty, but that is something I would expect from a "Rust Belt" car, not a Texas car. But, "stuff occurs".

One can pull the hose feeding the pump and blow some air back to the tank to sorta clean out the strainer.

My thoughts are more towards the tank getting a "vapor lock" if you will.

It's not "breathing" right.

Got to let air in as fuel level goes down.

Try driving it with the gas cap loose, see how it acts.

I do have one code. It is the 35 code. Which is irrelevant to my issue.

I will drive around without a gas cap and see what happens.

If I do need a strainer, does anyone know where to get them? Or a part number? Thanks

I have a fuel injected 94 loyale.

Same issue, I swapped fuel pump out with an in tank Ford F150, I posted a YouTube video. Search loyale fuel pump.

In addition the wiring harness that controls the injector had one bad connector, I cleaned it up and used dielectric grease on all of the connectors.

In addition I added some sea foam to the tank to help clean the injector.

I'm almost positive it was the harness connection but I think the fuel pump was suspect anyway and the F150 pump was only $27.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you elaborate more on what fuel pump you used? Mine is a 1987 and has the fuel pump under the car near the passenger rear door.

I have heard others used a ford ranger pump, but the psi on the said pump is significantly higher. I think around 90 psi. I think my manual calls for around 40-70 psi.

The pump was from a 94 f150, according to everything I researched the pump was compatible. I don't know for sure but would imagine your original pump was the same as mine.

I've been running with it for two months now without problem and it's my daily driver.

It does make a bit more noise however but that is probably because it is larger and I had to make my own bracket for it.

Can you post a link or part number for the pump you used? Its my understanding that we have an external pump with two hoses, one in, one out. The pumps I looked at for the year model you posted about brings up in tank pumps. I don't see how I would use an in tank pump where the oem one mounts.

Also, I had the same issue as when I first posted this thread again yesterday. Except I couldn't get the car to start again for about ten minutes. It wouldn't stay running, and when it did run for a short time, idle was real low and acted like it didn't have gas. Like I unplugged the fuel pump. It only happens when the car has been sitting running, like at a red light or drive thru. I can always tell when it's about to happen because the fuel pump starts whining.

I'm leaning towards fuel strainer being clogged with debris, but I cannot wrap my head around why it only does it when it's basically idling. I have checked the gas cap theory, gas cap is fine. I have tested the cts. It checked out good at two different temperatures. I went ahead and replaced the o2 sensor and again cleaned the idle air control valve.

Does anybody know where to get a fuel strainer?

I don't think the strainer can be replaced. Could be wrong on that though. Never tried to do so.

You can try cleaning it by blowing some air back thru the line that goes from tank to pump. Remove gas cap before doing so. Quick/short blasts of air is recommended.

The link did attach, and I appreciate it. 

Part number is e2000, which is not an in tank pump. It is actually an inline pump, which is why i was confused. Most in tank pumps are designed to fit onto a fuel pump assembly. Also, here is a link to the part your referencing. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=59606&jnid=2&jpid=1

Also, I found out you cannot change the strainer, as it is attached to the oem pump, which means when you change over to this ford pump, you lose your strainer.

I appreciate all the help and will probably be changing out the fuel pump here soon, I am sure my strainer is clogging up.