Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legacy running gear under a loyale

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,036 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

Im looking into transferring all the running gear from a 98 Legacy outback into a 90 Loyale wagon, so the EJ22 with the Legacy hubs and brakes , and EJ Legacy struts all around ,at the same time give it a lift say 4" , anyone done this? whats the hangups with the lift I can change all the suspension mount points from EA82 to EJ parts what you guys think?

#2 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,854 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Like you said, with a lift you can easily adapt all of the EJ stuff under the loyale.It however might be better to adapt the loyale body to the strut tops then make a 4" strut bottom lift so you can run bigger tires.The rear suspension links could use some attention.Other than that your the man with a plan.

#3 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

If anyone can do it you can.  I have been planning basically the same thing for my '81 Hatch for years.  I am finally getting ready to buy a new place with a real shop so I can proceed.  I think it just comes down to some decent sub-frame assemblies.  When I posed essentially the same question a couple years ago I think consensus was that it would simply take a good transposition of the mounting points, which you have already identified as an issue you can deal with.  Your Loyale will be easier than my Hatch. :popcorn:

#4 nicksubaru

nicksubaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • mariposa California

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

Im also interested in this. I will try to follow ur progress. It sounds sweet. Best of luck. Please post pictures as u go.:)

#5 Naked Buell

Naked Buell

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Evans, WA

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

That is exactly what I did to my Brat. I have the whole legacy front suspension on the Brat and then the 2.2T dropped right in like she was supposed too. Plus, the Brat is lifted 4 inches too.

#6 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

That is exactly what I did to my Brat. I have the whole legacy front suspension on the Brat and then the 2.2T dropped right in like she was supposed too. Plus, the Brat is lifted 4 inches too.

You can't just say that to us.  Where are the photos?

#7 Naked Buell

Naked Buell

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Evans, WA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

ok getting the photos

#8 Naked Buell

Naked Buell

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Evans, WA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

Here is one of the front suspension with a 4 inch lift. 

Attached File  DSCF3272.JPG   116.86K   61 downloads

#9 Naked Buell

Naked Buell

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Evans, WA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

Here is one of the brackets I made to allow for the Ej suspension to bolt right up.

Attached File  DSCF3273.JPG   122.75K   76 downloads

Once the Ej suspension is in, it widens the Brat by 40mm on each side. So I had some 5x100 adapters made that gave me just that. 

#10 Naked Buell

Naked Buell

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Evans, WA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

Here is a view of the whole Brat.

Attached File  DSCF3275.JPG   111.14K   66 downloads

#11 Earl gray

Earl gray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Astoria Oregon

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:00 AM

I'm looking at putting the 4x4 running gear from an 87 gl wagon Dual range, under a 90 loyale 2 wheel drive.

#12 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,273 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

I like the idea of doing this... it solves the issue of the growing scarcity of 5 lug conversion parts as well as puts a more modern (better handling) suspension under the EA series car... and you get an EJ swap and lift too!

#13 nicksubaru

nicksubaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • mariposa California

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:05 AM

@Scott, did you finish this project? Im thinking of doing the same thing

#14 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 4,036 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

no, looking at doing it to my 78 gen1 wagon now

#15 nicksubaru

nicksubaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • mariposa California

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

Have you seen anyone else pull that off? I have a 91 loyale that i want to put 90 legacy running gear under it

#16 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,312 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

front is easy.

It is the back that's hard.  The rear cradles, and the trailing arm mounts would be complicated, but doable.......there are enough mounting points, close to where they need to be on both the EA81 nad EA82 bodies........BUT.....

There is nowhere on the EA chassis to mount the upper strut perches.  Requires ALOT of fabrication,  cutting out of the wheel wells, possible crossbracing in the trunk area to actually have any strength.

Have you seen anyone else pull that off? I have a 91 loyale that i want to put 90 legacy running gear under it

Just lift the Legacy.

#17 nicksubaru

nicksubaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • mariposa California

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:14 AM

F*** that legacy. I got no paperwork for it. I was planning to lift it. Fabbing is fun. I was just wondering if anyone has already done it, so i can follow in their foot steps. But i can make my own steps lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users