Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy running gear under a loyale

Im looking into transferring all the running gear from a 98 Legacy outback into a 90 Loyale wagon, so the EJ22 with the Legacy hubs and brakes , and EJ Legacy struts all around ,at the same time give it a lift say 4" , anyone done this? whats the hangups with the lift I can change all the suspension mount points from EA82 to EJ parts what you guys think?

• Like 2

Like you said, with a lift you can easily adapt all of the EJ stuff under the loyale.It however might be better to adapt the loyale body to the strut tops then make a 4" strut bottom lift so you can run bigger tires.The rear suspension links could use some attention.Other than that your the man with a plan.

• Like 1

If anyone can do it you can.  I have been planning basically the same thing for my '81 Hatch for years.  I am finally getting ready to buy a new place with a real shop so I can proceed.  I think it just comes down to some decent sub-frame assemblies.  When I posed essentially the same question a couple years ago I think consensus was that it would simply take a good transposition of the mounting points, which you have already identified as an issue you can deal with.  Your Loyale will be easier than my Hatch. :popcorn:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That is exactly what I did to my Brat. I have the whole legacy front suspension on the Brat and then the 2.2T dropped right in like she was supposed too. Plus, the Brat is lifted 4 inches too.

You can't just say that to us.  Where are the photos?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

front is easy.

It is the back that's hard.  The rear cradles, and the trailing arm mounts would be complicated, but doable.......there are enough mounting points, close to where they need to be on both the EA81 nad EA82 bodies........BUT.....

There is nowhere on the EA chassis to mount the upper strut perches.  Requires ALOT of fabrication,  cutting out of the wheel wells, possible crossbracing in the trunk area to actually have any strength.

Have you seen anyone else pull that off? I have a 91 loyale that i want to put 90 legacy running gear under it

Just lift the Legacy.