Ultimate Subaru Message Board

throttle not fully opening a weber

Hey,

so I finally got around to fixing my throttle linkage.  it was a mess of cable ties and lamp parts.  got it all in, fabed up a new mount for better angle, and got a solid cable again.  main problem is that the normal throttle cable doesnt move enough to fully open the weber throttle.  When the pedals on the floor, it will get barely to the secondaries, but wont open them.

any elegant solutions to allow it to turn more fully?  it needs to go another full inch.  the only way I can think of doing it simply is to use a smaller diameter carb linkage, but its already not a huge one so I dont know if it will do the trick without stressing the cable from no leverage. 

do they make a geared cable linkage of some sort?  maybe a gear on the carb and a bar with teeth being pulled by the cable so I could get better than a 1 to 1 pull?  I think it will almost need to be a 2-1 ratio from the pedal to the carb linkage.

The cable piece off the Hitachi carb fits the Weber. You may have to shim it out some using a couple flat washers. I've had the barrel on the cable end want to catch on the Weber's linkage. Using a few washers eliminated that issue.

The closer to Center the cable is the quicker your throttle response will be.I found a happy medium worked to get maximum travel, opening,and feel the way I want it to. Placement and type of return spring are important too, to get the action the way you like.

Edited by rrgrr