Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing spark plugs on my 95 Legacy EJ22

So first off let me say hello, and thanks for this informative site.

Im not very experienced in working on my own cars. Ive in a bit of a money crunch these days ad have decided to do some basic stuff myself. I have a Haynes manual which seems to help.

Ive succesfully changed the fuel filter and replaced a cracked fuel line.

The engine has been running really rough, and cutting off in the middle of the road, especially at stop lights, etc. I took it to the shop for a diagnostic and they said the spark plugs were fouled and the engine was running on three cylinders. I got some new plugs from car quest and they made sure they were gapped there for me. Nice guys, they have offered me some good info before. I changed out the plugs out no problem (didnt use a tork wrench though).

The car wouldnt start. I tinkered with the plugs and tightened them a bit and got it running. But the car runs rough still, revving up and down when in park. I took for a spin and it cut off, same as before. I double checked my haynes manual and it looks like I have the wrong plugs and the gap we set it to was wrong.

I just wanted to get some opinions and see what people thought, is this the problem? I cant get back to the store to get new plugs for a bit. Im hoping that this will fix the problem though.

Need more info. Is the check engine light on? How many miles on car?

Yes a ripped boot can cause a problem.

Check engine light was on, after I put the new plugs in its off.

185k on the car.

What brand of plugs did you buy?  Subarus really only like NGK or NDC plugs.  Champions, Bosch, etc. will often cause problems.

Ive got NGK V-Powers

BKR5E-11 is what they gave me (gapped at .044 i believe), the manual calls for BKR6E-11 gapped at .039-.043

Subaru engines like the stock plugs. It's been a while since I shopped plugs so dont know if you were upsold on plugs, i am guessing you were.

You need to get OE wires or the best aftermarket available. Wires do age and fail with time. A torn boot means new wires. With Subarus cheap wires mean youll be replacing them again shortly, so pay more and have them last.

• Like 1

V powers are great plugs for that engine. Should have been gapped at .039-.043" though.

The 5-6 are different heat ranges. Nothing to be too concerned with since those two are commonly recommended. The 5 just means its a slightly higher heat range than the 6 plug.

If you have a torn plug wire boot the wires need to be replaced. The old 2.2 isn't as picky about wires as people make them out to be, but you are much better off with a quality set of wires. That said, I've used CarQuest house brand plug wires on several cars, and those will work fine for that engine.

It can be kind of tricky to get the wires clicked on all the way. Put di-electric grease on the ends, and around the top where the boot seals against the plug well.

Hopefully a set of wires will have it running right again.

I picked up new wires a and regapped my plugs (they were way off!), next time I will gap them myself.

The idle is still rough, running up and down, but no where near as bad as before. And now the check engine light is back on. But the car runs much better now, I was able to drive it around the block without and knocking, hesitation or stalling.

It was also suggested that I clean my throttle body and that the injectors needed cleaning. I've got some lucas oil additive to help with the injectors. I've been told that cleaning the throttle body is typically easy enough, but it seems intimidating to me. I know that subarus are tricky to adjust the idle on, and I dont know if taking the the throttle body off to clean it will mess with that. what do you guys think?

When i took out a plug there was some kind of crud on it. These plugs hadnt even run for 20 minutes before thispost-58763-0-37972100-1434211433_thumb.jpg

Just one plug, cylinder 4. It came right off, wasn't very sticky. I didn't drop it or anything.

Maybe I it rubbed against something when I put it in or pulled it out and I didn't notice.

I will check into the compression, I will have to look up how to do that.

Also I should probably pull the plug in a few days and check it out too huh?

Yes I would definitely keep an eye on that cylinder. Compression check is easy. Buy a compression gauge, then take all 4 plugs out and disconnect the coil power wire. Screw gauge into spark plug hole then crank it over three times with starter and look at reading on gauge dial. Repeat for each cylinder. Should be up near 150psi at the least and at 170 to be in manufacturers specifications.  

Edited by desertsubaru
  • Like 1

It's been running rough for quite a while. I had it in the shop three times for it last year. They replaced some fuel lines, air flow sensor, temperature sensor. None of which helped to much. They told me my spark plugs were fine at the time.

I need to find a new shop that know more about Subarus.

You can get a compression tester from AutoZone for free from their tool loan program.  (You basically buy it and then they refund your money when you return it).  To use it, you just remove a plug, screw in the end of the tester hose (has spark plug threads on it) and crank the engine a few times.  The gauge will tell you the psi reading for that cylinder.  Repeat for each (do the same number of engine cranks for each to get an equal comparison).

• Like 2

My plugs are fried again already, in a matter of a few days. They are blackened and have a 'burnt smell' to them. one had a bit of crud on it, but not as much as in the previous picture. Here is a new picture, they all had the same blackened look to them, but only one had the crud on it

post-58763-0-83298100-1434397360_thumb.jpg

I checked to places looking to get a compression gauge on loan and wasnt able to find one today. But I did get my check enginge light codes run.

There were 3 codes that popped up:

P0100 - MAF sensor or circuit malfunction

P0400 - EGR Flow Malfunction

P0400 "Exhaust Pending"

Im not sure what that last part means