Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Outback 5MT with 199k.  Both headgaskets, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, plugs, wires, etc, replaced by me 11 months ago.  Had the heads planed by a local machine shop.  They inspected and adjusted the valves but did not replace anything because I wasn't tearing into the bottom end of the motor.  

I recently started experiencing rough idle and misfire on cylinders 1 & 3.  Here's what I've done so far without any success:

1) Replaced rear oxygen sensor (because P0141 code)

2) Swapped ignition wires 1 & 3 with wires 2 & 4.

3) Swapped spark plugs 1 & 3 with plugs 2 & 4.

None of the stuff above made any difference.  Then I noticed the coolant is a little low. So I topped it up and took the following video:

https://vimeo.com/130704502

Is that what I think it is??? 

Edited by OCRentAPopo

Might pull the timing cover off and double check the timing on that side.

What brand of head gaskets were used?

Subaru gaskets.  Part number 11044AA610, which I believe are the newer MLS gaskets.  I'll check timing but it looks like this engine is coming back out as poor timing wouldn't explain bubbles in the coolant.  Just glad it didn't overheat at all.

If the engine is at operating temp you can get small bubbles due to localized boiling in a non-pressurized system when the cap is off. That's not uncommon.

How low was the coolant? Have you added coolant at any time since replacing the head gaskets?

Do you check the coolant level regularly and just noticed a sudden loss?