Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Spd conversion plus lift shifter questions

iluvdrt

So, I should be receiving my Jerry's kit soon for my 82 Brat and the DR 5 speed conversion. I am also installing an ADF 4" lift. My question is on the shifters. Will I have to do anything to the shifter with the 5 speed and the lift, or will they still work? Does anyone have any pictures if the modifications are required? Thanks! This is almost ready to come together!

Once it is done, I am going to put together a build thread since all of this information seems very dispersed throughout the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

update.

installed 5 speed mod on a e81. this was previously on a Brat with a e82 in it and no lift. 

I lifted mine with a 3 inch lift. we had to heat and bend and take our the bend for the high low linkage to get extra  length. the shifter bracket that is cut for the high low was hitting the gear shift rod in 4 low and high. we also heated the gear shift rod and put an S in it for extra clearance. Moral of story, lifting (or dropping the tranny) changes the geometry, so standard 5 speed kit needs adjustment for lifts.

here is another tidbit. the original Brat with 5 speed mod was using the e82 two piece drive shaft and bolted right up.

now with lift, i'm off 1.75 inches in length. i am looking at a legacy wagon automatic front shaft to get 1.75 more, and marrying to the E82 back. will post pictures i n a week. Anyone done the two piece drive?

Not sure your combo, but we manufactured the linkage to the high/low shifter and cut away a good portion of the triangular support and re-welded it. Everything was a bit short on the linkage when we installed it on the lifted Brat. This was not a Jerry's kit. All I'm stating is that the kit fit one way for a non- lifted Brat and fit differently on my lifted brat with 3 inch under carriage blocks. Not sure why.

The tranny is 3 inches lower than stock from body tunnel where the upper linkage mounts and is static. Something had to change based on the angle. All I needed was about 3/4 inch extension on the linkage from the tranny mount side (high /low linkage) and the upper shift bracket. This was accomplished with heating and straightening the bar at the tranny side. My upper linkage is threaded and has an adjustable sleeve.

Not sure why my drive shaft length is off from non-lifted to lifted ? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GZbktD-tcdb1FDSWo1c2k2djA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GZbktD-tcdOFpYekM5X2dfZmM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GZbktD-tcdQTA3MjRjY3Q2aTA/view?usp=sharing

Edited by machthree2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I am fairly certain my shifters will be an issue. I may also look at using EJ shifters, they appear to be very similar to ours, and they are longer.

I have a Jerry's kit installed into my Brat. Retaining the stock 4WD lever is important to me. I will more than likely never off road my Brat. Suspension parts are hard to acquire and the ones I do find do not seem to be of very good quality. Basically I am resto-modding my Brat to be a weekend cruiser, cars and coffee conversation piece.

Working on Driveshaft this week. Need a 54.125 - 55 inch shaft (ujoint front to ujoint rear) Center to Center. 

Funny thing is that we are installing the Loyale rear and Legacy AT (95,96,97) front with center bearing. It looks like it is going to work.

The previous Brat 5 speed had a stock Loyale driveshaft in it (without lift)

much cheaper and easier to replace than a lengthened Brat Shaft. 

Ended up using legacy front and loyale back just under 55 inches ujoint to ujoint. mounted center bearing and fit is really nice. Also put a 3 inch spacer block in for rear linkage mount to the tunnel bolt under boot. This set up the linkage to normal.

That won't work for 6". I either need to heat it up with the torch a little to tweak it more or scrap the idea and make another shifter linkage other than factory.

DSCF7015.JPG