Ultimate Subaru Message Board

axle shaft oil seal leak. (arghhh)

on my tranny, i have yet another nice leak. :rolleyes: this time its at my axle outlet. its the axle shaft oil seal. my question, before i tear the damn thing out, is can it, unlike my other leak, be taken care of without spliting the tranny? id just like to know so i dont tear out all the axles only to find out i cant fix it. its leaking out of no where now, so i need to take care of it, as well as the other side. i looked at my old repair manual and it seems to me that it would be accesible. so help would be nice. thanks alot all.

tyler j

Question, is the mess a black grease, or thinner gear oil?

Reason for asking is I had a similar mess on the transmission (catalytic converter side of course). Black grease all over, terrible smell. Couldn't figure out where all the oily mess was coming from, tranny wasn't losing a drop. Turned out the CV shaft's seal on the DOJ side was faulty. Replaced the shaft, voila..problem solved:) .

Just my 2 bucks

if it is tranny fluid,i had the same (i think) problem fluid coming out where my axle went in. turned the wheel all the way and popped out the pin,pulled my axle out of the tranny ,and popped out the old seal went to napa and got new seals, tapped it in with a little piece of wood went ahead and did the other side while i was there and walaa no more leaks...hope this helps:drunk:

sweet, nv zeno, no its not my cv, the previous owner rerouted the e brake line wrong and it ripped and ruined my cv join, i had a thick goo all over the place. but this is indeed tranny fluid.

beachbum.. napa eh? wiered did you order it. is that basically the same, like a checker or autozone or do i need to go find my local napa? i think we have one.

thanks again though.

tylerj