Ultimate Subaru Message Board

.1 = 1/10

One tenth of a quart.

If you look at the side of a 1 quart oil bottle you'll see it is marked with graduations. Usually 9 marks. Sometimes they're numbered. Sometimes there will also be another scale for deciliters as well.

How much the car realy takes depends on the car. Some vehicles the stated capacity meets around mid-range on the dipstick. While others the stated capacity will mark it right at the full mark on the dipstick. Subaru tends to be the former, requiring slightly more to bring the level up to the full mark on the stick. The only way to find that out is to start pouring oil in and see just how much it takes to get to the full mark.

It says 5.1, so buy 6 quarts, pour in 5 then start the engine and let it run for 20-30 seconds. Turn it off and wait 2-3 minutes and check the oil level on the dipstick. Add oil if necessary.

• Like 1

It says 5.1, so buy 6 quarts, pour in 5 then start the engine and let it run for 20-30 seconds. Turn it off and wait 2-3 minutes and check the oil level on the dipstick. Add oil if necessary.

This^  It's more than 5, but not quite 5 1/2

But don't over-fill it.  That can cause it to set codes for the variable valve timing.

Edited by Silent Bob
  • Like 1

Being .1 is only 3.2 ounces I wouldn't sweat it too much. Truthfully I doubt anyone could tell 3.2 ounces difference on a dipstick. At the same time it is always good to have a little extra oil laying around for top offs down the road. So I would do like FairTax4me suggested. If you only have 5 quarts change it and give it a check. I wouldn't go out of my way for the .1 unless you already have it on hand.

Garage? I keep a part bottle of every fluid my car needs in the trunk. Engine oil, gear oil, antifreeze, ps fluid, and a gallon of water just in case.

I also keep a timing kit (no covers, and non-interference engine) and a half dozen different sensors and a couple spare plugs and wires, and assorted sized vacuum hoses, because you just never know.

[/thread-jack]

Being .1 is only 3.2 ounces I wouldn't sweat it too much. Truthfully I doubt anyone could tell 3.2 ounces difference on a dipstick.

Doubtful anyone would notice the difference, but knowing these cars usually need a half quart or so to be added to the engine between oil changes, its good to have that extra quart around.

hah, yeah, I remeber the days when I carried a jug of water to pour on the fuel pump on my 78 (yeah 1978) Honda Civic in summer - sucker vaporlocked regularly after I'd park it. many cars that had spare oil and coolant in the trunk.

so far, not required in either subie.

(fingers crossed)