Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Evaporator core replacement for 2009 Subaru Forester

Hi all.  This is my first post - I think it's a faux pas to post in a functional forum before I've been around and introduced myself, but I've waited until I had a problem and now I need some help.  I moved to a new area, away from my trusty and beloved Subaru technicians at Casey Subaru in Newport News, and I am lost without them.

BLUF:  HVAC stopped blowing refrigerated air last fall (can't tell how abrupt it was, because the weather was starting to get cooler).  Actually, I wasn't even sure it happened until I tried to run the AC once it started to warm up this summer (yup, it's hot).  Dealer couldn't find any leaks, but determined that the system would hold a vacuum, and so charged the system with coolant and fluorescent dye.  It blew cold air for about a day or two and stopped working again.  Brought it back yesterday, and was told just "evaporator.  $1600."  I've read enough here and in other sites to know that this is absurdly high.  So there is no confusion about whether I ought to go back to these guys for the repair.  But I have a few questions, because I definitely got the "you-dumb-broad-just-sign-the-work order" treatment at this place, and the more I know, the better I will be able to fight price gouging in my search for a good mechanic.

1:  I read somewhere that the flat rate time to replace the evaporator core is 4 hours.  The $1600 guy says it's six.  Can someone verify the maintenance standard for me?

2:  Should I even have confidence in this diagnosis?  The method made sense, but I would think you'd use a borescope before handing someone a bill of this size.  Basically, they shined a black light on the condensation that dripped from the evaporator.  If there's a leak in the evaporator, does that mean the core has to be replaced?  Maybe a link is loose?  Your answer might save me at least the $350 for parts (actually, these guys charge $380, and make no apology for exceeding MSRP because "the 'S' is for suggested").

Thanks!

Mitchell flat rate time to replace evaporator core is 6 hours, includes remove & replace instrument panel. (whole dash has to come out to replace core).  If there is dye coming out of the evaporator drain,  the core is about the only place it can be coming from.  So, they are probably being fairly straight with you.

That's weird - Subaru evaporator failure is nearly unheard of - they don't even fail on 1980's Subarus.  It's a mechanical component so anything is possible, but that's odd for sure.

Has the car ever been wrecked/flooded?

I'd get a second opinion.

Most subaru a/c leaks are just the orings on the compressor and costs like $3 and takes 15 minutes to repair.

And yeah time wise - it's a rather beastly sized project if it does end up being that - but i'd want to confirm it and make sure it's not just an oring at one of the evaporator fittings.  Rubber orings fail more than metal.

Thanks, guys.  I'll buy the 6 hours.  I think that 4 hour quote maybe didn't include the diagnostic and the fluid recharge.

Grossgary, would an o-ring in the compressor show up with a standard leak check?  If not, could it result in the dye being present in the condensation collecting under the car?  What questions should I ask the technician to verify this failure?

More often its the condenser that leaks. The lower corners are exposed to salt and road debris, and can corrode and leak in an area not easily visible.

What is the labor rate they're quoting for that?

Even at $120/hr labor you're only looking at $1100 for parts and labor. Another $150 for vacuum and recharge.

Where they're getting $1,600 from, I think they're trying to hit you with a "blondie" charge.

Absolutely get a second opinion. Maybe someone here can recommend a shop in the Northern Va area.

There is a pipe connection at the evaporator core.  I suppose it could be leaking there, but the catch is you still have to remove the dash to get to it.  At that point you a probably farther ahead to put a new core in it just in case, rather than having to pay someone to do the job twice.  I have replaced a couple of cores here and there, so they do fail occasionally. 

Another thing to think about: I don't think there are a lot of techs who would jump for joy at the thought of replacing one, it's kind of a time consuming,  PITA job.  If it was leaking somewhere else, I have a feeling that they would tell you, since most any other leak would be more of a "gravy " job.

Really!  They must be fooled by the highlights.  I'm a natural brunette.  They want $720 for the labor, $380 for the ($350 MSRP) part, and $280 for the recharge.  They took $180 for the diagnostic (and gave me nothing in return for it but the piece of paper that said "evaporator.  $1600."  They refused to discuss breakdown of parts and labor until I made a scene with the general manager and VP).  So I've made an appointment with the next closest one, Sheehy Subaru, which was recommended by a coworker and has pretty good Yelp reviews.  Been talking to the service associate there - called the poor guy about three times today.  He's quoting $1200, which is just within the upper range of the local rates, and I expect to pay in the upper range for the dealership.  $590 for labor, $150 for the recharge, and they will sell me the core for MSRP.

Yes, Silent Bob, you're probably right.  Sheehy will do their own diagnostic before they touch anything, because they can't do much with "evaporator.  $1600."  So we'll know for sure.  But I've had problems with the $1600 guys in the past that made me question their technical savvy as well their integrity, so I wouldn't put it past them to have some half-assed trouble-shooting procedure.  And leading me to believe it would be a mistake to trust them with a complex job.