Ultimate Subaru Message Board

west coast v. east coast

Some of the info here has actually made me laugh so enjoy all your ranting,I know I am.

Anyone who lived here in the 70's and early 80's knows the deal.Now,it's not the same with the choices the yuppies have these days.SUV's,4WD Audis,Merdedes,Porshe,etc.,etc.

Numbers,show some numbers.East coast people who drive Subarus are a little different than the west coast folks.It's a disposable tool here.There's less east coast people on this board but I doubt there's less Subaru owners here.

SOA is in New Jersey isn't it?

So,what is the point of this post thread anyways?

its been great to here the different explanations of subaru ownership east v. west. i see plenty of new soobs (outback, forester, wrx) but very few older ones. i am looking forward to attending some soob rallys after my summer camp season is over. i might even venture west.

Thanks for raising that question, I have been wondering the same thing Goat. I am here with you! I have to admit I don't do the Mods or offroading, but I bought my first XT 10 years ago and have fallen in love with Subs. My Husband is a factory trained Sub mechanic and he is the one who sold me on them to begin with. He is now helping me search for a replacement for the XT Turbo that was recently crashed. :grin: Gotta love that cheap labor.

Linda

I dont have numbers to prove it, but I know that back in the day (when it counted... EA81 and EA82 era) Alaska & Washington were 2 of the 3 states that had the most Subaru Sale's. Also, in Places like Tahoe, Subaru is the #1 selling car there. And there seems to be more places like Tahoe on the West than the East.

We have large resort communities like Aspen, Mt. Hood, Lake Tahoe (both South and North), not to mention state parks and other recreational activities that seem to occure on the west coast.

Not to say the east doesnt have any of these great places, but the east also gets the worse weather. Im sure Tornado's, Hurricanes & flash floods account for ALOT of the subaru death out east.

I think in California, the only thing a Subaru has to worry about is 120 degree temps and sun-faded paint.

In Washington, the only thing a Subaru has to fear are their owners :) They seem to take these car's and do thing's no subaru should do :lol:

-Brian

Hey Goat, I spent many a summer in Hampton as a teenager. Grew up in VA Beach. I now walk across the road to get to the Ches Bay, just the other side of the harbor from where you lived. I would miss the beach too if I had to go inland.

Linda

I dont have numbers to prove it, but I know that back in the day (when it counted... EA81 and EA82 era) Alaska & Washington were 2 of the 3 states that had the most Subaru Sale's.

-Brian

Prolly has to do with where those Subarus were getting dropped off from Japan :) I'm not suppirsed there are so many on the west coast; werent they all shipped into the NW coast back then?

hey subyjunky, i think the rareness of subies on the east coast is mostly contributed to rust. also the amount of snow we get. im in nc, and they are very rare here. i think i have only seen 4 in my city(apx 110k people) and i have 2 of them. they were more abundant in ohio where im from i think because we get a lot of snow. the rust kills them though.

Here I am again. Because we are close to the Bay, we don't get much snow. The two Subarus my hubby just bought do not have rust (at least not coming through the outer paint). Don't know what underneath looks like! The XT that was just wrecked did have some minor rust problems. I still think we just did not get as many of them as the West Coast did.

Linda