Ultimate Subaru Message Board

removing WAIC pump from RS Legacy ?

OK, don't even know if the US got turbo Legacy , so may be calling on other markets.

I am gonna be under pressure in a tight and remote work location to remove the factory water pump from the donor - an RS Liberty  and after simplified tips on just best way to remove it. I know where it is - underneath the battery, not in the engine bay itself, and more forward of the space it occupies. Is there only one way to do it ?

Thinking jack, wheel off, liner off, red backs should be sleepy, and get up in there OR is it remove headlight and do some keyhole surgery ?

Or lay under the front and reach up, probably remove liner here too ?

Any tips to remove this baby would be appreciated

Battery sits pretty much directly on the frame rail, so you'll probably need to go in from the wheel well. A handful of push clips and screws, then pull the liner back and you should be able to get to what you need.

If you need more access, the bumper usually isn't too difficult to remove. There are two large bolts on top of the frame rails that go into the bumper beam. Remove those and all of the screws and pop clips that run along the bottom. There may be screws in the corners that go up into the fenders. Get those and then the whole bumper pulls off as an assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fairtax4me - have you done this bfore or just guessing ?

Pretty good guess.

No pics.

Removed wheel, removed push clips, removed a few 10mm head with Philips head screws - out comes the inner guard liner

and there we have a water pump held in by two 10mm head long bolts and bracket with maybe 12mm nut sits low side inside of the chassis - undone enine side.

yep, and front bumper needs come off a bit to undo a bolt securing the water radiator coler device, so char can out with two tens, two 17s under it on RHS, easy access on LHS for two more 17's. LHS front guard very edge near arch had 1 10mm bolt screw going up from bumper to guard, and another from bumper foward into front trim metal piece above bumper. Two 12's holding WAIC radiator in place, sits in two rubber insulated pins in holes in car. Out

The top tank was a bitch - just tight fit on turbo to cooler pipes - hard plastic, clamped.

Is all out including the resistor gadget on mount strut tower RHS.

Now, just gotta find space until I find time to install it on car stillwaiting for turbo gear !!

thanks again

Never have removed that particular part. I don't think we even got the WAIC here in the US. Pretty sure they were all top mount.

Pretty much, anything that isn't under the hood has to be accessed through the wheel wells. And on occasion you need to pull the bumper off to get room to work.

sort of explains the lack of people rushing to respond :)

I thought I heard the US even missed out on the first WRX

That "hide things in the wheel well empty space" went a little far with a Dodge convertible we got here - no room under bonnet either end, so a special side terminaled battery went in where Subie hides compressors and water pumps. Youtube saved the day on that one !!

Nope, no first gen WRX here. Didn't get those until 2000 I think. We miss out on all the good stuff here like the twin turbos.

Yeah we have those damn Chrysler/dodge cars that hide the battery in the fender. Luckily they had the forethough to put jump posts under the hood so when the battery dies (which is often) you can still jump it.