Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The ongoing saga of the Tin Can...

l75eya

• 1 year later...

My goodness it's been awhile. 
Well, plans have changed (naturally); no EJ for the Tin Can anymore, not for awhile anyway. I decided to EJ swap the 86 GL10 instead of the Loyale.

The Tin Can is right at 139,000 miles now. The original engine has been out for a few months now sitting on an engine stand as I slowly reseal it.
The temporary engine I replaced it with has been completely neglected through it's life and I am not about to start taking care of it. It runs good though. It will be coming out when I finish the original engine and put it back in.
The original 5 speed I replaced with another and put a new clutch in.
I also swapped in an entire 1985 Subaru RX sedan interior and I absolutely love it. 
This car is the best $500 I ever spent on a car. The rust in the quarters will need addressed soon, however.

Message_1530844623067.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This car STILL LIVES. 

But it's definitely on its last legs lol. The body is starting to rust out bad, almost every door sill, the rear quarters in the wheel well, all the typical spots.

But with an ej 2.2 and a fwd 5 speed with dry rotted old 13" 185 width tires, the tin can is a friggin burn-out MACHINE. 

And forget trying to drive it in the rain. 

Also the starter is going bad. 

Also I will be pulling the drivetrain out of it at some point and well the car, I'm not sure. That interior is super rare. What do I do?

IMG_20221026_172214764 (2).jpg

• 11 months later...

Well..... This is how the story ends my friends. 

The Tin Can. Purchased new in New York State by a priest. Crashed when it was a year old and repaired. Sold to a young man in New York State who Hypermiled it. Then to me, it's third owner, into New Jersey. We racked up tens of thousands of (mostly) trouble free miles in short order and then he brought me to my current residing state of Pennsylvania where he stubbornly drove the streets of small town PA wearing his old New Jersey license plates. 

He went to the junkyard today, STILL WEARING the New York State inspection sticker he had when I bought him. Coming full circle he was towed there by a 94 legacy wagon with which is powered by THE VERY EJ22 THAT WAS PULLED FROM THE TIN CAN. He will be missed. He was a good Tin Can. Sleep well sweet prince. 

ftZ4AcA.jpeg

zXb78ts.jpeg

FA9xDS1.jpeg

oZKYFMu.jpeg

⚠️*TRIGGER WARNING*⚠️

tIAuWqA.jpeg

aSrMMHU.jpeg

um7NaVP.jpeg

sdLiY8w.jpeg

OCxP56S.jpeg

8BZmt6R.jpeg

4w1bZ47.jpeg