Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to decide on colour for steel rims on Red Brumby/BRAT

I'm acquiring a set of 14" Jackman's for my red Brumby. They need a blast and paint. Trying to decide on colour. So far it's either white, matte gunmetal, copper.

Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards matte gunmetal. Copper will probably stand out too much and it's not a show piece of a car, just a work ute. White does look good, but it's quite normal.

Heres the car, and heres the wheels

post-6068-0-87806300-1435314644_thumb.jpg

post-6068-0-84747800-1435314762_thumb.jpg

I do like the chrome trim but they aren't so good when you are bashing the car off the beaten track. I like that blue you have mate.

Pink, hahahaha... Maybe.... No.

I don't want metallic, as it will stand out too much from my gloss red. Maybe I could do a dark gloss grey, similar shade to gunmetal?

White is classic, but kinda boring as well. And you have to do a slight off white which is has to get colour matched as the paint shop doesn't have an off white standard wheel colour. If you want to wire me $400 Tony I'll get them powder coated.

I tried to Powder Coat the 15" Aluminium wheels I obtained for my "BumbleBeast" and it was very expensive locally, so I ended painting them, with the help of a special aluminium Primer, in non-metallic Glossy Black for heavy machinery, to bear the rude use at my offroadings, but I added a yellow trim on their outer lips, to match my Wagon's Radioactive Yellow colour.

So, maybe you can paint yours in Black, and add a Red accent as well.

Kind Regards.

I had white on my 14" pugs, and powder coated ($400 ? I think I paid something like $100 for the set of 4, but I did have them fully sand blasted and ready to coat), but that was to match the white canopy (topper to the US guys). I don't have the canopy fitted any more, and now run gloss black with chrome lips (like greg454, but I have alloys rather than jackmans/wagon wheels). In hindsight I think gunmetal grey would have been a bit more modern looking.

I have had three quotes from local powdercoaters. I dismissed the cheapest one as I used to work for a place which sold powdercoated fences and had many many many issues with that companies powdercoating. The highest price included gritblasting and two layers of coating, that was $750 for the 5 rims. For $400 I can get the 5 rims single coated (standard) through a company we used to have good luck with. The cheapest I can get just the gritblasting done is $30 a rim, that's already $120.

JesZek, I plan on getting some industrial 2 pack urethane paint, like I painted the car with. I have plenty of the primer for it still. But if I can't get that one in a small enough quantity in the colour I want for the price I am willing to pay I'll probably just end up getting some tough enamel.

Very clean looking Brumby there dfoyl, it looks good. But I don't think I want to go the black. It's a toss up between white and grey now. I'm guessing the price of the paint will determine which colour I go...

• Like 1

Months ago I found this photo on the net. Can't find it any more and only just realised it was saved on my phone.. I was thinking maybe this colour with the red perhaps..?

I think that would look sharpe.

Making me want to repaint mine now.