Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza speedometer problems

Hi, yesterday my speedometer stopped working on my 93 Impreza. I downloaded an app for another vehicle that has worked well. Since last year sometime I've noticed when I start out from a stop the needle lags around 20 mph and then jumps to 30 when I get there. That really only happened like twice a week when I payed attention. So today I removed the dash cluster and found its controlled by a cable. I removed the cable, cleaned the contacts best I could without removing much of the grease and the problem still exists. I went under the hood and cleaned the connections from the speed sensor I remember replacing when the transmission was removed for repair.

Does anyone have any ideas? I checked oreilyauto.com and rockauto.com to see if I could simply purchase a new cable, sadly I cannot. I've gone about 25 miles since it stopped (according to the app) and my mileage sits on 314238. I'd truly like to get this fixed not only cuz I deliver pizza for a living but also I'd like to hit the big 500k with the speedometer.

I look forward to your help :)

On the top of the transmission towards the front (where it mates to the engine) where the cable goes into the transmission is an adapter.  This adapter goes into the transmission with a flat little piece that breaks.

It's a dealer only part, about $20 IIRC.  It will take about an hour to replace.  Make sure you have a magnet, couple small screw drivers, deepwell 19mm (pretty sure that is the right size), and a lot of patience as you will have to get the broken piece out as well.

To verify it's at the transmission disconnect the cable (it's two clips one on either side) and put a drill on it while someone watches the speedometer.

Edited by lstevens76