Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, i`m writting from patagonia....i own a 1994 gx legacy, and want to ask for help.....i changed a bad head gasket and replaced the timing belt......the matter is....i put the crank and camshaft marks right up ...all in coincidence...but the number of teeth on the belt did not mach ....i have 40,5 teeth on the drivers side but not 44 on the other.....the engine is running in this condition for the last 10000km  ....Is this normal ?? or what ould be the problem....I repeat all three marks on the wheels are ok aligned with the block and covers ones....but if i respect the belt teeth count i need to advance in two teeth the non-driver side cam pulley......

Some idea ??

Thanks in advance !!

Thanks fairtax4me !!  there is a little knock comming and going away interitently....i think is hidraulic lasher problem...but equally tha engine runs nnot as smooth like i want....it seems to misfire on one cilinder.....i changed plugs and wires...but idle speed is not smooth as this boxer engines uses to run.......when i first opened the timing "box" i saw that left cam pulley and crank gear where in position....the right cam pulley was two teeth to the left....i have some photos..

post-58938-0-02262900-1435511198_thumb.jpg

post-58938-0-24683100-1435511236_thumb.jpg

post-58938-0-81460800-1435511295_thumb.jpg

I have some pictures....but not on the lap....i´m not at home.......the marks were in coincidence....fro time to time check engine light comes up for some minutes....cod 22 knock sensor......but driving a couple of miles it goes out...

Ok, as soon as i can i`ll be posting the photos. If knock sensor is in bad condition the check engine light will turn on from time to time or it will stay on permanently ??  when lights comes on i let the car run in neutral and in no more than a minute it turns off. If hidraulic valve lashers are knocking, the knock sensor could detect that knock like comming up from detonations due to advanced timing ??

The computer will only set a code for the knock sensor if the computer thinks its unplugged, or the wiring is damaged or shorted to ground. It will NOT set a code because the sensor is detecting any kind of knock.

Either the sensor is faulty (which is the most common reason for the code) or the sensor has a poor ground to the block, or wiring is damaged.

Lash adjuster noise will not affect the knock sensor.

If the problem is intermittent, such as a poor connection or corrosion inside the sensor, the CEL may turn on and back off shortly after.

Thanks Sooberoo  !! now i understand how it works.......i touhgt that the sensor send some kind of info when detecting some knock....i´ll take a look if wires and ground are ok. Thanks again....where i live Subaru parts are difficult to find and very expensives; also nobody know much about this cars. By the way ......if one of the cams is a little ( say one or two) advanced wich will be the symtom  ??

Here in Argentina in this moment is very difficult to buy abroad......if using credit card we have an 35% increment due to goven tax, i will try some peugeot sensor adding a resistor to get the necessary resistence .......here the original sensor costs about 100 dolars or more......i paid 100 dollars for spark plug wires !!.......recently i replaced the windshield in Chile, it cost me 120 dollars....the same for a forester 2012 costs 300 dollars  (in Chile) my friend bought the same in Buenos Aires and it costed 1280 dollars  !!  

Don't use a knock sensor from another vehicle. Different sensors can be more or less sensitive and cause problems.

If you need a cheap fix, wire a couple resistors together to make about 580k Ohms resistance, and connect that in place of the knock sensor. Cover it in heat shrink tubing or liquid tape to protect it from the elements.

Just be sure to listen carefully for pinging (spark knock). Without the knock sensor the computer can't pull back the ignition timing to prevent spark knock, which could cause damage to the engine if it starts pinging all the time. If you notice it pinging, either switch to the next higher grade fuel, or replace the knock sensor.