Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 Impreza EJ22 to '99 Outback

I looked at a 99 Impreza Subaru a friend told me about as a solution to my 99 Outback currently with an EJ22 with a blown head gasket.  Are these all compatible and what are reasonable prices for switching one into the other?  The guy with the Impreza said his mechanic said the rust was too bad to salvage the vehicle, but the engine had a head gasket job not too long ago.

His landlord said he would probably take around $300 for the Impreza; the engine and other surrounding components look a little different.  I will check around on prices, plus I would have another car with remaining parts that may be worth something, but significant rust otherwise.

Rather unlikely that they are compatible. 99 Impreza would be EJ22 Phase II. 99 Outbacks were usually phase 1. Check your motor and see if it's phase 1 (head bolts are outside the valve covers on phase 1 EJ22) or if it originally came with the DOHC Ej25 its a phase 1.

Swapping phase 2 into a phase 1 requires a lot of work around that usually makes it much easier to source a motor somewhere else.

Rather unlikely that they are compatible. 99 Impreza would be EJ22 Phase II. 99 Outbacks were usually phase 1. Check your motor and see if it's phase 1 (head bolts are outside the valve covers on phase 1 EJ22) or if it originally came with the DOHC Ej25 its a phase 1.

Swapping phase 2 into a phase 1 requires a lot of work around that usually makes it much easier to source a motor somewhere else.

from endwrench article H-4 and H-6 service): All 2.2 liter engine for 1999 are the Phase 2 design.

I originally had a 2.5 engine in the Outback; they transplanted a 2.2, not sure if it is phase 1 or 2.  I wrote down the code in the engine compartment of the Impreza, will post it when I find it.

Edited by ThosL

Even easier way to tell if it's a Phase I or II:

Phase I had 3 pieces of timing belt covers, a right, a left and a center.

Phase II had 2 pieces: 1 long one and 1 short one on the left side.

Edited by ccrinc