Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ayone else seen or heard of this. After a full engine reseal & new clutch kit , I had driven a total of about 1000 miles.It was time to do a recommended 1000k oil change, I got my hill-billy creeper and got underneath, I see a large amount of grease near the steering rack arm, so I start cleaning up, I eventually see that the driver-side, large interior boot is mis-aligned on the cv case,(nearest engine). I clean it thoroughly, inspect it and there is no tear anywhere, it is clean, intact and both clamps are still on. But there is obviously enough room for grease to get thrown out. I can see that there is still some grease in the case/boot so I figure maybe I can get it back on, twenty minutes later I get it lined up and I get a very clean, secure "pop" into place. I have monitored it closely for the past 300miles and it appears to be on solidly. Any thoughts from the crew.

Have seen it, but never sure why they slide loose. My usual assumption is that it got hung up on something while the axle was being removed or installed.

As long as it didn't come completely off and get dirt in the joint it should be fine. If it was totally off you should remove the axle and clean and re-grease the joint.

• Like 1

Have seen it, but never sure why they slide loose. My usual assumption is that it got hung up on something while the axle was being removed or installed.

As long as it didn't come completely off and get dirt in the joint it should be fine. If it was totally off you should remove the axle and clean and re-grease the joint.

Thanks for the reply and advice. The boot was still on except for the mis-alignment and no real "exposure". I had to move it around and open the gap some, still saw some grease in there, very clean looking too. I'm keeping my ears & eyes on it but my gut is telling me to do as you suggested!