Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suddenly today, my 05 OB wouldn't start. Click, click, click, click but no start. Jumped the battery and it started right up.

Figured battery at end of life so drove it to Advanced Auto for a free evaluation. Rep hooked up machine and got a readout "Replace Battery"

Drove a while longer (bought a replacement from Walmart) and then figured I'd check again so went to a different Advanced Auto and it now appears to pass.

I have attached both printouts. The "replace battery" was the first. Any feedback appreciated.

post-533-0-09875400-1435711046_thumb.jpg

The first store told me that the system couldn't be checked any further with a reading of "replace battery". I took the rep's word but then did go and get the second opinion and that was the complete readout.

The second one says the battery is good... that was about one hours worth of highway driving after the death sentence...

Still puzzled.

Is the Walmart battery installed?? How old was the existing battery that was tested bad, then tested good?? Is there any corrosion that you can see at the battery terminals??

If the Walmart battery has not been installed, then install it, to see if the car starts up properly.

Too hard to say based on very limited info on the printout.

The thing that puzzles me about that is the Voltage reading says 12.9v. A battery at rest should not be above 12.6. That could indicate a damaged cell in the battery.

If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage at the battery after it has sat overnight.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. New Walmart battery not installed yet.

Existing battery that tested bad then good is of uncertain age but probably close to 5 years.

Terminals are tight and don't appear to have any corrosion and are slathered in dielectric grease.

Overnight reading 12.65 volts

I will try to find my hygrometer to compare cells. There is electrolyte visible in each cell.

there should be a sticker or possibly an engraved date on it somewhere... one of our local retailers uses an engraver to mark the purchase date on thier batteries

the stickers are sometimes just a small one with the last 2 digits of the year, so it may not be obvious what it means.

regardless, most are only good for 4-6 years anyway - depending on the battery. at roughly guess-timating 5 yrs old, it is about due for replacing...

but getting back to the odd readouts - how long had the car been run before the 1st reading (the "replace battery" one), and yeah - 12.9 v? i missed that...

there should be a sticker or possibly an engraved date on it somewhere... one of our local retailers uses an engraver to mark the purchase date on thier batteries

the stickers are sometimes just a small one with the last 2 digits of the year, so it may not be obvious what it means.

regardless, most are only good for 4-6 years anyway - depending on the battery. at roughly guess-timating 5 yrs old, it is about due for replacing...

but getting back to the odd readouts - how long had the car been run before the 1st reading (the "replace battery" one), and yeah - 12.9 v? i missed that...

Car started without issue and was run for about 20 minutes before the first test that resulted in the "replace battery" reading.

Similarly, car was run for about 20 minutes before the second test (good-recharge)

BTW: looking at the test results, is there any explanation for the variable CCA readings? The battery is rated as 640 CCA. The initial test result (replace battery) was 559 @ 130 degrees and the second (good battery result) was 544 @ 136 degrees. Each of these represents a reduction of about 15%

BTW2: I had disabled the seatbelt chime in the past but after this "dead battery" episode, while the radio presets were ok, the seatbelt chime is back to factory setting.

Trying to charge a almost dead battery by running a vehicle 20 minutes is going to be iffy at best, and they may be the reason that it tested bad on the first test.  You should of put it on a charger overnight and then had them test it.  I believe what happened on the second test is that you ran the car enough to fully charge the battery, so it tested good. 

I would still put the old battery on a charger overnight and then have it retested.  Also have the charging system also tested.  You may of just had a light on inside the car that drew the battery down when it didn't want to start the first time.

no cd stuck

replaced battery today sticker on old one indicated 7/10 so at or near the 5 year mark

the rest of the discussion is academic at this point

yea, at 5 years, it is worn out or nearly so. Bet all is well with a new battery.