Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The "help me finish my coupe" thread

This thread will be for me to ask your help with reassembly of my 73' 1400 coupe. Since I tore it apart 6 years ago, stuff has either gotten forgotten, misplaced, lost, or was never there. Hopefully you guys/gals can help out where needed. With that said, I am looking for the following information to start,

1- Does anyone have a part number for molded upper and lower radiator hoses? The listings I find are all the flex type hoses. Do hoses from a newer model interchange?

2- Pictures of the rear parcel shelf. I believe this was a "cardboard" piece on the flat shelf and vinyl going up to the rear glass and attached with a rod to the 4 plastic clips there

3- Pictures of the kick panels and front wheel wells. What do they look like stock? I don't remember the car having this when I got it, only some horrendous carpet remnant.

Mark

Edited by Datsunrides

I should have the original fabric over rubber hoses. I'm not saying I can get them out real soon but I sure will try my tail off as I desperately need to go thru storage and send Earl his seats etc etc

The guy who bought Danny's old stock should have a ton of them too.

Our best source for info would be ctsuba - Charlie - but unfortunately he's really ill and weak. But if I do stop by and visit I'll ask him if he seems up to answering. He still has a 75 sitting around nearly complete if I can get my eyes to it.

Paul, any help is appreciated.

To add to the requests,

Parking brake cables: Do they go under the tie rods or over? I tried them both ways and both seem to have their issues.

Quarter glass: I could use a pic of what holds the glass in on the forward side. I can see there are supposed to be some sort of rubber bushing fitted to the inside of the bracket but no idea what it looks like. The ones I have were siliconed in.

Anyone have a line on a good radiator? It didn't leak 6 years ago, but now it does. I guess I could also recore it, but I can see where this has been reworked before so not sure if it will survive another.

Edited by Datsunrides

Man I'm so frustrated that I just have zero time to go through my storage and to get to Charlies so I can review the parking brake routing for you. I do recall when removing them from a 76 GF two door automatic that they were woven through a cross member etc.

I am pretty sure I have a new radiator. To not waste time though I think you could locate one through the Internet faster than waiting on me.

Looking great. I'll do what I can for you.

And I think I might have coupe rear quarter glass with hinges somewhere too. Anyway .... I really need to dig.

Finding one of these intact should be tricky. I've got two...both broken and molested.

310FDDF6-BFAD-4A6E-9D57-B04437DF7331.jpg

CC8E5539-EA9B-4817-8BEE-8D7D4A0F9AA9.jpg

Might be best off trying to get one made out of fiberglass or something.

But I hope you can see the holes where it screws down.

And then these clips go along the back side.

03771067-F6F8-409A-B2DF-4805FFCD6A32.jpg

This is the pass side kick panel out of my 76 wagon. Vinel over cardboardish.

DB0FF2FE-29B4-4394-B9A4-A120331110C2.jpg

I have a pair of these foam type ones that I thought were from the coupe. But when I put them in they weren't exactly rite. I must have pulled them from my 79 Brat before I scraped it.

I imagine they would work in a pinch. In not sure where the correct ones out of my coupe ended up.

E16A813D-AA4C-43C3-AFDB-20F093496131.jpg

Dude!, that helps sooooo much. Right now I have the cables on top of the control arms(looked that way in the FSM). Looks like for the rear parcel shelf I will just custom make something. Not even going to waste time trying to find an original. Same for the kicks.

Thanks to Subafreak you have some photos! My parcel shelf is installed so will not reveal as much as these.

Sorry Datsunrides, being winter here the sun is gone by the time I get home... Not good for photos.

Yep handbrake cables go over the top of the tie rods and as Subafreak mentioned, there would have been rubber 'cable hangers' from the factory. However my 1978 wagon did not have the hangers for over 17 years and there has been no ill effects to the cables.

I could use a couple of the thin nuts that hold the original radio to the dash. Also would be interested in a nice original 4 speed shift knob. Also in need of a dome light lens. LMK if you got something

Edited by Datsunrides

My parcial shelf is not damaged *other than speakers installed* but it seems to have changed shape a bit!  Those little snaps that it clicks into near the rear window dont hold mine anymore, as it looks like it was in a humid place for a bit and the 90 degree bend is now a little less, so the thing doesn't quite plug-in.  I thought it SHRANK, but looks like it just changed shape a bit. 

This is something else I'm adding to the *remake from fiberglass* list when I get my garage...

I couldn't find my radiator. I might have scraped it....so chances are it wasn't in very good shape.

I got a few 4 speed knobs floating around. Probably nothing NOS pretty, but one of them should at least have nice pattern print on it still. I can dig around.

It would be great if someone could easily reproduce the rear cargo shelves. Make a mold or something. I'm sure there's a few of us that could use them.

If the radiator is the same as a 78 wagon's, I have a freshly painted and tested one you can have for $25. It is only missing the fan switch, the one it had was busted. I have a fan shroud, but not a motor for it. You could probably fit a better than stock motor/fan in it.

I am not sure if they are the same. I think the size is similar, but the mounting is different? Can you post a pic? If I can make it work, $25 is a hell of a deal. Shoot, I was just at a wedding at Avila beach 3 weeks ago and would have just got it then! (had I known I needed it)

Mark

If anyone can help out with a pic of what the forward edge of the upper and lower quarter glass mounting point looks like, it would be appreciated so I can make something up. I have the brackets but need to figure out how the glass mounts to the brackets.

I wanna say it's just a little piece of rubber or plastic that sits inside the bracket and slides over the glass. I haven't located any of my brackets yet....and I'm sure sure there was much left of what was supposed to be in there anyway. :/