Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck Axle Nut

johnvaudo

ok here is my situation.  drivers side front outer CV joint has blown out.  Axle nut appears to be over torqued or seized.  have tried impact wrench not success, have used a torque wrench set in excess of 200 ft/lbs.  broke the torque wrench.  have soaked it all day with WD-40  have tried bouncing ( I am 200#) on a 24" 1/2" drive Breaker bar  NOTHING!!!!

Can use some serious advice  can't replace the half shaft until I get this bloody nut off.

Thanks 

John

i've found like 1 out of 20 (or some number like that) are incredibly nasty to get off.  1/2" stuff will break and huge impacts won't budge them.

2 foot isn't enough leverage - you need 3-5 foot pipe over the socket wrench handle.

i have a 3/4" 900 ft/lb impact gun that hasn't removed the really bad/seized ones.

for those i have to use my 3/4" socket set and a 4 foot pipe and still give it some serious stank.

or crack, drill, cut off the nut.

Edited by grossgary

i've found like 1 out of 20 (or some number like that) are incredibly nasty to get off.  1/2" stuff will break and huge impacts won't budge them.

2 foot isn't enough leverage - you need 3-5 foot pipe over the socket wrench handle.

i have a 3/4" 900 ft/lb impact gun that hasn't removed the really bad/seized ones.

for those i have to use my 3/4" socket set and a 4 foot pipe and still give it some serious stank.

or crack, drill, cut off the nut.

WOW  thanks for the insight  I was a Mech in the National Guard and had some that bad  never thought I would run in to something this bad

Oh yeah, i've seen a few.  They're really annoying.

I'm still really annoyed my nearly 1000 ft/pound impact won't get them off.

i saw a shop work on one once for a Subaru - it wasn't budging either - he let their impact hammer on it for like 3 minutes...i was thinking (what is he doing, it's not working)....and after like 3 minutes it finally zipped off.

I use a 3/4" Ingersoll-Rand impact and it works great. On some of the stuck stuff you have to keep the impact on for a awhile until they break loose. Had a transmission drain plug that was so tight i had to use the 3/4" on it because it wouldn't budge with a 25" breaker bar with a cheater bar.

Just for future reference, torque wrenches are never to be used for loosening. Torque wrench = tighten only

Axle nuts suck. I put a wheel bearing on a friends honda about 3-4 years ago and a couple months back the bearing started making noise. (Cheapo bearing) I torqued the axle nut with my torque wrench when the bearing was originally replaced. I broke two breaker bars (craftsman) trying to get that axle nut loose. Finally had to go get a 3/4" drive socket to fit the axle nut and put a borrowed 3/4" breaker bar on it with a 5 foot pipe. Had to get my 300lb friend to stand on the pipe to crack the nut loose.

Same car I had to buy a special tool to hold the crankshaft pulley so I could get the crankshaft bolt loose to change the timing belt. That took a 4 foot pipe to get a 19mm bolt loose!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A little heat from a propane torch does wonders........

Nothin, but NOTHIN can stand up to Smokey the Big Blue Wrench :) Besides theres something uniquely macho about burning steel with fire *grin*

I've had luck putting a big cheater on a 3/4 breaker and driving the car a foot or two to crack really stubborn ones. Kinda like putting a breaker on the crank bolt and bumping the starter. Not 100% foolproof but usually does the trick

• Like 1