Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My daughter's Legacy got t-boned the other day. She is fine, albeit a little frazzled. It was a slow speed hit.

A full size pickup hit her right in the B pillar and pushed it in about a foot. No airbag deployment or broken glass.

My question is, is there much demand for parts for a vehicle of this age? Interior parts are good and the motor, although it has high miles burns no oil and runs like a top. Transmission has torquebind. No idea of the condition of the rear ends.

Am I better off just selling it for scrap? What's the value of a high mileage engine like this one?

Thanks,

If you don't have need of the parts, it's most likely a better idea just to scrap it.

Engine - $150-200 if it runs good

Trans - $50 with TB

Seats $20

Most yards will give you $75-200 for the car

Scrap value about $140

If you don't have need of the parts, it's most likely a better idea just to scrap it.

Engine - $150-200 if it runs good

Trans - $50 with TB

Seats $20

Most yards will give you $75-200 for the car

Scrap value about $140

Agree with this estimate. You don't mention what year Subie your daughter has, but saying it is high milage implies that it is older then 10 years old. Glad to hear your daughter was not injured. Hope insurance pays for your car.

There is a "parts for sale" on this forum if you want to part the car out yourself. If not, then then sell to a yard, or keep it as a back up car for your self, if still driveable.

Thanks guys for the feedback, that's about what I was thinking. It's drivable but not road worthy.

Rooster, it's the same car in my sig but with about 296K miles now. Was hoping to see the 300K mark...

Tires are brand new but think I'll give them to the mother-in-law.

jmoss, that offer include you pulling the motor?

Sounds like you've got yourself a new rally car....  :lol:

On a serious note, I'm glad she's ok, a loss of a good "friend" is never easy.

But the above are correct. You'll get more money from parting it out, but it will take a while to see the profit and you'll still have to do something with the carcass. Some yards won't take a hulk without a solid, honest-to-god title (not a salvage receipt that the insurance company/DMV will give you) so I'd call around to see if someone will take the shell once you're done. Otherwise, sawsall or plasma cutter time.

Sounds like you've got yourself a new rally car....  :lol:

On a serious note, I'm glad she's ok, a loss of a good "friend" is never easy.

But the above are correct. You'll get more money from parting it out, but it will take a while to see the profit and you'll still have to do something with the carcass. Some yards won't take a hulk without a solid, honest-to-god title (not a salvage receipt that the insurance company/DMV will give you) so I'd call around to see if someone will take the shell once you're done. Otherwise, sawsall or plasma cutter time.

Reminds me of the story a buddy told me. He had an old Nash Metropolitan that he parted out. The resulting carcass he buried on his land out in the back 40.