Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2002 Legacy Wagon with a bad crank bearing. Has 290k miles and had a HG at 218k. What year 2.2 engine will swap easily and any suggestions as to where to find a good 2.2 engine?  Love this car and don't want to part with if possible.

A good used motor will be from $300-$1000 depending on mileage, warranty etc. I got one for $150 a couple months ago.

There is no advantage to swapping an EJ22 into a 2000+ car as there was no longer a difference in the reliability. Both are solid motors - the EJ22 has single port exhaust and less power. The EJ22 swap is popular for 95-99 cars since those DOHC EJ25s had lots of head gasket issues in the higher miles and the early EJ22s were about as bullet proof as Subaru ever made.

I'd mostly search for a good 2000-2004 EJ25 as they have better power, will be more plentiful and wont require modification to install

It is doubtful he is going to find a good used EJ222 (Phase 2) or EJ223 (Phase 2) for less than $700.  I know I had to search high and low to come up with the one I found for my Subi and then had to travel 1,200 miles round trip to get it.

For an EJ25 it will vary as the east coast has a lot easier time finding engines than over here on the west coast where cars don't rust out so much.

Here is the question, how is the body and subframe?  What rust do you have, how bad is it, and how long do you expect it to hold together?

Doing it yourself you could completely rebuild that engine, including machining, for probably $1,500 or less (total) including new pistons, rings, bearings, head gaskets, etc.....