Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Extension housing bushing 91 legacy

I have been unable to source this bushing (part 066 in this schematic) http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/R4AX-EL.pdf. 

The dealership thinks I may need to replace the entire extension housing to get the bushing. 

Background: This car experienced a copious leak due to a bad oil seal in the extension housing. The existing bushing shows wear and is not servicable. The seal I purchased at autozone does not fit over the propeller shaft tight enough to keep the atf in the housing.  The leak is minimal now but not oil tight. 

What is the purpose of this bushing. Do I need it.  Thoughts are to measure the correct seal and propeller shaft and order an oil seal that should hold in the ATF. 

I can also look for the extension housing at the pull a part. Unfortunately it seems they just crushed most of their early ej cars.  

That bushing holds the outer part of the driveshaft yoke and is THE rear support for the output shaft. So, it's important.

The nose of the yoke might be worn too, but it's steel and the bushing is aluminum plus other stuff.

I bet you can find the bushing with some googling. If not, junkyard extension housing with one that's not wiped...

CNY Dave-

Thanks for the links I have come across those and I'll call Cobra to see what they say.  Most Likely I'll head to the Junkyard to find a donor housing.

Do you know if this bushing rides between the oil seal and the prop shaft? Or is more inboard towards the front of the extension housing?

Thanks again

The bushing rides in front of the oil seal, the nose of the driveshaft yoke goes inside the seal then inside the bushing and over the output shaft.

If the bushing is worn enough that could let the shaft wobble enough that the seal can't seal.

^^ Bingo. The bushing provides support for the yoke/output shaft mating and if worn too bad, will let the yoke "droop" in the housing pulling the oil seal out of round and won't seal on the shaft. Time for a new one...

However, if you can obtain the dimensions on the original, I'd see about a non-FHI sourced option (like a toyota, GM or Ford trans) that may have an identical bushing, but "isn't for a Subaru"...