Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About how long does an axle change take?

I wouldn't say that they eat them like candy, I have never broken one and that is with pretty harsh use. The secret is not to shock load them and they will stand up to a great deal. Experience and rig configuration impact the axle change time. I can do one on my truck in just a few min. and not even think about it. It takes more time on a stock BRAT.

When I do em at home in my driveway, I usually take an hour or so. I'm slow when I'm at home - drink some beer, etc. And I clean everything very well - sometimes replace other stuff while I'm in there. I think maybe 30 minutes is close to my fastest time (had to pick up the Girlfriend in eugene, so I was in a rush). I always take my time and make sure it's done right tho.

The ones they eat like candy are the "remanufactured" axles, and used axle from the junk yard. Now that I have a source for brand new axles that aren't terribly expensive..... a street rig ought to get close to 100k from a brand new axle - off-road will get less. Depending on a lot of factors - tire size, type of terrain you go on. Off-roading will destroy a lot of stuff faster - wheel bearings tend to get water in em..... axle boots get torn - same for ball joint boots....

GD

My best time is about 35 minutes. However, if the DOJ is rusted to the stubaxle, it can take lots longer. My worst time is 5 hours (frozen DOJ); 2nd worst is the first time I did one--about 3 hours. Most done on EA81 cars.

okay thanks guys for givin me a rough estimate. Will the book:"How To Keep Your 72-84 Subaru Alive by Larry Owens" go over how to do this? I just ordered an old used copy for like $10 off ebay because i heard they are incredibly useful. Im gonna need to learn to do all this stuff sometime.

The instructions from HTKYSA are excellent. There are also good hints and such here on the Board. Do a search; I know it's in here.

I just noticed you're in Whidbey; take a ferry ride over to the mainland; there are enough people here that would "supervise" your first replacement. If I have the time on a coming weekend, you can do it in my driveway.

Yeah i am on the south end of the island... about 10 minutes from the ferry depending on whos drivin. Thanks to GeneralDisaster i already have a post by Edrach about how to do it. Reading a lot of the stuff is like reading spanish to me though, i know enough to get around but not enough to do it by myself. Thanks a lot for the offer, eventually i may just take you up on it:grin: . I still need to do some other stuff before im ready though. Thanks a million you guys really rock.

EDIT: buahahahaha u r edrach lol i didnt notice that.... hahahaha

it took about 10 minutes to take it off, to realize i packed a rear spare axle with its stub shaft. but it took all day to get an axle hitch hiking to the junkyard. got it all togwther in about 10 minutes after that. but we still made it from wisconsin