Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Compatibility Question '00 Outback 4EAT into '01 Forester

While putting the engine into my '01 Forester 4EAT I failed to properly seat the TC and ended up damaging the pump in the auto trans. 

I've been looking at various options. Namely: either taking the pump apart and fixing it or replacing the pump, or putting another transmission into it. I bought a used '98 Forester trans (TZ103ZJ1AA-L1) without realizing that it was (mostly?) incompatible.

I could exchange the '98 Forester transmission for one out of a '00 Outback Wagon. Are they compatible? I know the final drive ratios are the same and the transmission will likely bolt right up to the engine, but what about the electronics? Will the driveshaft from my Forester fit with the OBW trans? Will my Forester starter fit on the OBW trans? Are the gear ratios similar? How will the OBW trans in the Forester affect things like the speedo reading accurately?

The information: 

'01 Forester 4EAT with about 174k (Trans replaced at 89k)

Trans # TZ1A3ZC2AA-P8

'00 Outback Wagon (milage unknown. Reason for ending up in the junkyard unknown, but it wasn't a collision)

Trans # TZ1A4ZCABA

I'd hate to go through the trouble of getting the Outback transmission only to find out it won't work in my Forester.

Any help is greatly appreciated!