Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which brand of oil using in 2015 forester

Seems like people have lots of different opinions on oil (hard to find a consensus).

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 in my 2014 Impreza. It seemed to have decent reviews, and I didn't find a lot of negative feedback about it (and reasonable priced). Seems to run well with it and hasn't burned a drop. I change my oil at shorter intervals (4,500 miles) and it seems to do well so far (17,000 miles and counting)

I plan on keeping the car, and driving it into the ground, as I do all my vehicles.  I saw mobil-1 has concerns for using oil consumption issues.  I was going to try Valvoline synthetic, but I hear it does not have a lot of additives to prevent wear. Any thoughts? The penzoil platinum maybe an answer....

If you plan on keeping it that long then do the oil changes every 3k miles (regardless of what Subaru recommends) and use whatever oil is your preference.  If you do this, and monitor your oil, that car will last a long time.  If one oil causes you to  consume it then try a different brand.  

As far as additives go, the only time I worry about those is high mileage (150k+) with leaks or potential leaks.  Then high mileage oil can help stop/prevent those leaks due to seal swelling additives.

Past that if you are doing your oil changes every 3k miles what brand isn't going to make a big difference.

I'm a fan of Valvoline myself.  I use full syn in my car.

Why would you want to us 0W20 weight oil?  Do you have any idea how thin that is?  And in light of the following info, you should probably rethink that:

BE VERY VIGILANT WITH THE OIL LEVEL IN YOUR NEW CAR!

I can't stress this enough: Starting in 2014, Subaru is one of 4 manufacturers who have known issues with excessive oil consumption!  This is far worse than the 1 qt. per 1,000 miles we've heard before.  For now, check it EVERY DAY and twice on Sunday. 

I believe there may even be a class action lawsuit going on...I'm sure you can Google it.  If you let it run low on oil and the engine gets damaged, Subaru will NOT cover it under drivetrain warranty.

Emily

• Like 1

I plan on keeping the car, and driving it into the ground, as I do all my vehicles.  I saw mobil-1 has concerns for using oil consumption issues.  I was going to try Valvoline synthetic, but I hear it does not have a lot of additives to prevent wear. Any thoughts? The penzoil platinum maybe an answer....

Then I would strongly suggest a thicker oil and shorter change intervals (5000 miles so easy to remember). The 0 winter weight oil is for max MPG not for engine longevity. It just needs to carry them past the warranty period. It is to me a scary oil. Look in the owners manual under Heavy Duty use and see what they list.

Then I would strongly suggest a thicker oil and shorter change intervals (5000 miles so easy to remember). The 0 winter weight oil is for max MPG not for engine longevity. It just needs to carry them past the warranty period. It is to me a scary oil. Look in the owners manual under Heavy Duty use and see what they list.

I agree with Nipper on using thicker oil. 0W -20W just seems to thin, especially at the 0W end of the spectrum, when cold. Agree it is to max out MPG, but at what expense to engine long life.  If it were me, I would use a 5W-20 year around.

I wonder if there are any lab tests available that show wear factor over the life time of a  200K miles engines, compared to other weight oils. That should make for interesting reading.

... I wonder if there are any lab tests available that show wear factor over the life time of a  200K miles engines, compared to other weight oils. That should make for interesting reading.

You can Download a .pdf file containing a very interesting Test done in Australia,

Here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/126284-how-to-determine-which-is-the-best-motor-oil-for-your-car/

Scroll down to find the Download link, Kind Regards.

An observation

Last year my Outback got a new engine from Subaru (200K blew head gaskets). Got it back and it was filled with 0w-20 oil. When the engine was warm my aftermaarket (read cheap) oil pressure gauge would be unreadable. The dealerships response was (a great dealership btw, seriously) is the oil light on, if not its fine. It was not on, but it really bothered me. I switched to 10w-40 and at idle (on the soon to be replaced cheapo gauges I should have known better but shiney thing) i now have 10psi at idle in summer

I dont trust 0w oil for a car that we tend to drive till the doors fall off.

Edited by nipper

Owners manual says 0W-20 for non turbo engine, like mine.  There might be a listing to use 5W-20 under harder driving conditions, I will have to check. Does anyone have an opinion on the brand used?  I see some use Castro, others Valvoline (little wear additives in their product), and most say not Mobil-1.

I generally use Mobil products, or Quaker state. I stopped using synthetic as it has gotten expensive. The Justy cant use synthetic so its cheaper for me to use dino oil.

Any brand name is fine really that has the certifications. 

Edited by nipper

Note that the user's manual specifically states only synthetic oil.  And yes, they specify 0W20: I still, as an engine builder, have my reservations about that even given the oiling problems. 

Emily

ps/  Nipper: you do know the oil light is only for LOW oil, not oil pressure, right?  Not that I'm surprised that the dealership didn't point this out.

• Like 1

Not in my 05, its a low oil pressure light, I know as I use a mechanical gauge and T off the oil pressure sender port so I still have the pressure sender and my Mechanical gauge.Or is my assumption wrong as it was mounted on top of the block.

The newer FB engines SHOULD use Synthetic oil at all times. The EJ engines were a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DESIGN and Build.

This is stated in plain words throughout the owners manual AND in the Service Manuals.

They have VERY SMALL oil passages, especially on the Cam Advance Systems along with VERY TIGHT Tolerences.

The 2012/2013 DID have oil consumption issues and Subaru has finally admitted to this, after much litigations let me state. This has to do with the oil rings and the manufacturing process that was used.

In all the newer Subarus I service, I run 0-20w Synthetic, mainly Valvoline.

EJ's I still use 5-20w conventional oil.

Some come back at 5K for their changes, others at the recommended 7.5K. I have no neighbors with the NEW 6K oil change interval.

All come back showing oil on the dipstick, some may be down 1/2 way ( approx 1/2 quart ).

These are my observations and experiences .... I own a 2014 Impreza 2.0L FB engine with 38K and uses little or no oil in the 7.5K oil changes.

BTW... I refer to 0-20w oil as Synthetic WATER .... 0w being the specific weight of WATER, No wonder it pours out of the oil pan so quickly, I HIGHLY recommend the Fumoto Valve because of this. It really keeps the oil draining on these MUCH CLEANER.

Edited by ferret

With this oil getting so expensive it may be time to work in an oil anaylsis to get a good idea with whats going on and adjust the intervals from there.

Otherwise we will just have to wait it out and see what happens.

This, from an online site, also borne out by TSB 02-157-14R, states 2011-2014 models are affected:

There have been complaints regarding excessive oil consumption in some
2011-2014 Subaru models with the FB2o and FB25 engine. Subaru has
linked this issue to premature wear of the Oil Control Piston Rings. The fix is to replace these piston rings on affected models. However, the vehicle must be within the 5 Year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty to qualify, and must be exhibiting an excessive oil consumption issue.

Since the 2015 is still of the same design, it would be prudent to err on the side of extreme caution regarding checking the oil frequently until it can be determined whether or not one's car will indeed use excessive oil.  Call it "cheap insurance".  It's certainly cheaper than an engine rebuild!

Very respectfully let me Disagree, 0W~20 is for Fuel Economy, but the engine's internals will wear out much faster; the best choice is to seek Balance between Proper Lubrication and Proper oil Cushion, to prevent Shearing.

I would use 10W~30 here, in the Caribbean, due to our Permanent warm Weather.

Kind Regards.

• So it sounds like Valvoline 0W-20 is the way to go, and not to use 5-20 weight oil,   Everyone more or less agree?

While I am still somewhat skeptical about the zero grade, after doing quite a bit of research over the last hour, I have to say that, 0w20 FULL synthetic seems to be the way you're going to have to go.  Especially if a mishap occurs and you need Subaru to warranty anything engine-related.  NO 10w30 in that engine!!!  I also noticed that they say change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months under "severe" conditions, which includes stop and go driving.

Off the cars101.com site:

Severe driving is

> Repeated short trips,

stop-and-go, extensive idling (basically any urban driving)

> Rough, muddy, dusty, wet,

humid, cold, mountainous, salty conditions (basically any coast, country,

or winter driving)

> Frequently towing a trailer.

> Racing

I do still stand by my "check the oil constantly" advice, especially during your break in period.  (Some engines won't use a drop, some use oil right out of the showroom.)  I'm also still not convinced that Subaru has completely fixed the oil usage problems.   

Good luck and enjoy your new car!