Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help diagnosing "clack" sounds from right front 86 BRAT

I have an interesting sound coming from somewhere towards the right front of my 86" Brat.

It's not a grinding sound, it is rhythmic and speeds up in correlation with the speed of the car. 

It's kind of like a "clack clack clack clack" not terribly loud, can't hear it with the radio on. 

Drives/runs fine.

What could this be. What should I do to further diagnose? 

Thanks for your help!

Michael 

Sounds like classic cv joint. You can drive it for a while but eventually you'll need to swap it out. Not too bad of a job. It was actually the first fix I did on my subie (or any car for that matter) and it was manageable then, easy to do now after doing a couple times. Hardest part is getting new axle through wheel bearing but there are some good tricks if you get to that point. Its a good time to replace other front end parts if your in there. Good luck with it

• Like 1

if they are original OEM axles (green cups, probably) ... I would clean, regrease and reboot both cvj and doj.    

You will find volumes of info about inferior replacement axles.   Don't buy them.

Not sure on the clack clack .... usually it is described as a click click.

Find empty parking lot ... drive in tightest turning circle left ... then right.   You should hear more distinct clicking that way... maybe some grinding in this mode.

• Like 1

Thank You!

There is a replacement axel on that side, and i believe it is flinging oil and grease, I probably should have mentioned that. This is probably issue, would you agree?

OP... correct.   When boots tear, all the grease is flung out with centrifugal force.   As joint drys out, the clicking begins.

I have cleaned, regreased and rebooted several axles with 100% success.    Alot of the older replacement axles were built well and are 'almost' as good as OEM.   I would try fixing the axle ... if you have some tools, some skills and a keen desire to get dirty.

• Like 1

I agree, and have been getting super dirty already, I feel like my projects never end. Which is a good thing! This will be my first time replacing a axle, but by the sounds of it, I better get used to it with this car! haha